Heating Issues

bbatis

Hi all:

Haven't posted in a couple of weeks because I've been doing my research on nano tanks. After looking and comparing different size tanks with which to go with, I finally decided to go with an all-in-one tank. That being the new 28g JBJ HQI.

This tank looks really sweet with just about everything included without having to replace any of the stock equipment. The owner of my LFS, just one block away from where I live, even said that the protein skimmer included, tested very well. Forgot to ask him what brand it was, but it is a counter-current skimmer, if that's a good thing. Haven't gotten to the point of researching those puppies yet. So much to research in this hobby.

Anyways, the 28g is expected to be released around mid-March being sold for $499.00. $629.00 with the stand included. They are also throwing in a 150W stealth heater. They are taking pre-orders on it and I was told that initially that the LFS's are only going to be receiving six of these for the first couple of months.

Here's my dilemma though: Heating issues. I live in a studio apartment with nothing but a small air conditioner that really sucks. It was so bad last summer during the heat wave here in orange county that I had to buy a fan just to keep from sweating it out. Not sure what the ambient temp was, but I'm guessing in excess of 90 degrees.

I have no problem buying a 1/10 hp chiller (Pacific Coast Imports I hear is a good one), but from what I've read about conventional chillers of this size, they expell alot of heat. This along with living in close quarters seems to make my purchase an ill-advised one to say the least. Sure, my corals and little buddies will be find and comfortable, but I'll be panting and sweating like a stuffed pig. :O

I was considering going with a much smaller set-up like a 6g-12g nano-reef tank with no MH or chiller. The tank will stay cooler without the MH. I'm just concerned that the water temp will end up coming close to the ambient temp even with a fan blowing between the lights and the water in an open tank set-up. I understand that there are different factors involved here, but with this particular set-up, won't this be the case?

Sorry for the long-winded post, but like I said in chapter 1 of this book, I haven't posted in a couple of weeks. LOL!

Thanking you in advance for any advice that you can give. Much appreciated.

BB

saltwaterfarm

The 28 sounds good... maybe invest in a new AC unit? I have MH's on my 29 biocube and ran without a chiller during some hot times...

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
If your sweating in the summer, invest in a new ac unit, you and the tank will both be happy

bbatis

The place that I have is a rental and I'm certainly not going to invest in a $400 A/C unit. But I came up with an idea that is much cheaper than a chiller or A/C unit and makes much more sense. A portable swamp/air cooler that goes for around $100-$150. It is said that they can bring down the temp 10-12 degrees. Worst case scenario I can direct the air cooler towards the tank during those hot summer days to keep it cool. A lot cheaper than running the A/C all day too.

This way, I end paying $200 less than buying a chiller and at the same time stay cool in my small studio along with my tankmates.

So, any feedback on that besides a quick hit and run response? :)

BB

BrothaWolf

Whats the square footage on your apt? I think you can do better than $400 on an a/c and thats certainly cheaper than a chiller. That a/c is your property you take it with you when you leave the apartment so its not a loss. If they make a big deal out of it hold on to the crappy one and switch it back when you leave

bbatis

Square footage is less than 200 feet. The AC unit that I have currently is in my wall not the window. My best choice is a supplement, that being the $150 air cooler. I believe this will do it.

With all due respect, where is the expertise in this forum? None of my questions were answered about ambient temp's. Please read original post and answer if you can. There wasn't much feedback about the new 28g JBJ nano-cube either. Wake-up people.

Thanks.

BB

JasonL

Oh, by the way, I googled the tank you purchased, based off what I seen it will probably be an amazing tank. Who ever designed it was probably someone that took what the average reefer wanted and actually made it happen. A built in skimmer is awsome. Great product, keep us informed on it.

lcstorc

I am not sure what unanswered questions you refer to and I just re-read your post 4 times. We can't have any experience on a tank that is a brand new model on pre-order since obviously none of us have it. We cah't have an opinion on the skimmer since you don't know what it is. Several people have offered their opinion on your potential heat issue, but you responded with your own answer of what you are going to try.
Sorry, but we really do try to help wherever possible, I just had no valuable input so I did not respond before.
I guess the only real opinion I can add is that bigger is better when it comes to a reef. Go with the bigger tank. It will be a lot easier to keep in the long run,

Cougra

With all due respect, where is the expertise in this forum? None of my questions were answered about ambient temp's. Please read original post and answer if you can. There wasn't much feedback about the new 28g JBJ nano-cube either. Wake-up people.
Personally I feel that this is completely unfair and uncalled for. We are a group of hobbyists that are HELPING people in our spare time AT NO COST! We don't know everything, especially when people ask about a tank that hasn't even been released,
Anyways, the 28g is expected to be released around mid-March being sold for $499.00. $629.00 with the stand included. They are also throwing in a 150W stealth heater. They are taking pre-orders on it and I was told that initially that the LFS's are only going to be receiving six of these for the first couple of months.
a skimmer we don't know the name brand of
even said that the protein skimmer included, tested very well. Forgot to ask him what brand it was, but it is a counter-current skimmer, if that's a good thing.
and ambient temperature that YOU don't even know what they are!
Not sure what the ambient temp was, but I'm guessing in excess of 90 degrees.

People ARE trying to address the issue of ambient temperature by suggesting that you invest in a portable air conditioner to reduce the ambient! Yes the water will warm up and come within a few degrees of ambient if it's just the water, but the pumps, lighting, and whatever else you have around there will generate heat as well. We don't have all the details so we really can't answer much more!

I've read your original post a couple times and my impression is that you have already decided on the tank and are just trying to work out what to do about warmer temperatures! An AC unit would be your best option!

I (and I suspect others here) don't know what else you are looking for! If you feel that we aren't answering things the way you want, perhaps you need to reword your questions or provide more information.

Bottomfeeder

My advice would be to ask the landlord to replace the AC unit. If the unit will
not cool the room below 90 degrees I would complain. I rent 2 houses myself
and replaced a window unit last summer when I got complaints. Then buy the tank and point a cheap fan at it when needed. Just a thought. Good Luck

emo_1992

Most wall units are nothing more than a window unit that is put into a prebuilt box. If this is the case take your measurements and go to Wallmart and you can purchase one that will fit in the hole for about $120 or less.
Square footage is less than 200 feet. The AC unit that I have currently is in my wall not the window. My best choice is a supplement, that being the $150 air cooler. I believe this will do it.

bbatis

Thanks for the responses. I really would like to purchase that 28g JBJ but am having second thoughts on it. I realize bigger is better, but I will probably go with the 12g for now. It will cost me half the money. But more importantly is my situation. Limited space, the heating issue (the 28g comes with MH's, the 12g is CF's. I'm pretty good at keeping on top of things so far as taking care of the tank. But if things go wrong during the summer, I'd prefer it went wrong with a 12g, than the 28g ($). I will just have to wait until I get a larger place than I have currently.

BB

burning2nd

simple enought to say, if you cant keep the air in the room around 80Degree,

+pumps, +lights +life, your water has no chance in hell of staying around 80...

yes maybe a fan directly on the water, will help you lower it from 90 to 85 maybe even 83, but thats a full time top off mission.

this is a 28 were talking about (not a 100), your gonna loose so much water a day,

what about top off water....

what everyone was trying to explain is that the eazyest way to maintain your water is to have the room temp about what you want your tank at ( that be worse case)

this sounds close to something called "Cooling issues" insted of "heating issues"

bluespotjawfish

I think the 12 gallon will be harder to keep at a stable temp. Find a 28 with CF's. I thought JBJ offered that, but maybe is was someone else. I have a portable cooler that I use for my wine cellar. It lowers a very small space (a closet under the staircase in my basement) about 5 degrees. The one I have is a water cooled unit, so we have to add water to it a couple times a week. We run it for about 8 hours a day. In the past we have used tap water, and because of that, we have had to replace the unit every year or two. We are now using RO water and will see if that helps them last longer. For our purpose this is still the best solution to keep it cooler (and increase humidity too).

Wine vs. fish - not sure if this is helpful or not, but it is what I have to offer.

PS - My house is 74 degrees in the summer, and my 125 gallon tank runs at 82-84 degrees without a heater! I do not have MH because of this.

Best of luck.

bbatis

That is why I was asking the questions about the ambient room temp, air coolers, etc., slick. Go back and read my first two posts again.

Last edited:

boozeman

first of all you should tell the landlord to replace your apartment a/c it is his responsability if it was covered under your apartment lease...if not covered then your second option would be to purchase a portable room a/c, these units can effectively cool down your apartment while venting hot air and humidity out through a hose that you just place thru an open window...when its time to move you take it with you!
IMO purchasing a chiller for your nano should be the last resort...what is the sense in having a cool aquarium that you won't be able to enjoy because you are sitting in a sweltering hot/hummid soupy apartment...and then having to pay a huge electric bill from a chiller that will be constantly running due to the ambient heat.

Witfull

warning, keep all posts civil. if you dont agree with the advice given, dont accept it. rudeness is not tolerated.

consider this a warning. if you disagree with this, you may PM me and discuss it. any inflamatory posts in public will be dealt with accordingly.