Heat-tolerant Coral Reefs Discovered: May Survive Global Warming

Frankie

RS STAFF
Heat-tolerant Coral Reefs Discovered: May Survive Global Warming
090520100515-large.jpg

ScienceDaily (May 22, 2009) — Experts say that more than half of the world's coral reefs could disappear in the next 50 years, in large part because of higher ocean temperatures caused by climate change. But now Stanford University scientists have found evidence that some coral reefs are adapting and may actually survive global warming.
For more on this story please follow the link above.

I don't know..... Seems to me like somethings not right here. I mean they've lasted for more than 50 billion years and now since the Enviormental Extremist Groups have said there is Global warming we will kill our corals and the planet.
Whats going to kill them is the Poachers and Uneducated people that think it's cool to take what is not theirs to start with. It is only theirs to admire not take.
Sorry for this outburst but this whole subject really burns my bunns. We are really being dragged into this insane world of these insane extremist tree hugging groups. 50 billion years and now the world decides to dump on us? UNLIKELY

Frankie

RS STAFF
I agree that nature will repair itself and adapt. However, from everything I have read, global warming is a fact. I am not to sure about humans being the cause of all these issues but I have no doubt we are contributing to GM with our filthy ways :)
I have been leaning away from environmental topics latley in the news because it is a heated topic and not what were doing here.
If anyone has news that pertains more to our hobby I would be very happy to look at it and consider it for the front page news.

l3fty999

Nature Always Finds A Way...

Besides, the planet has been hotter before. Science has found that it's not just us, it's part of a long cycle that's been going on for millions of years. We certainly aren't doing any good by our industrial activities, but it's something to think about.

Take care
Aaron

MotoReef

Besides, the planet has been hotter before. Science has found that it's not just us, it's part of a long cycle that's been going on for millions of years. We certainly aren't doing any good by our industrial activities, but it's something to think about.

Take care
Aaron

I agree. Destruction of stuff through methods we know is not good is BAD...

Also, I think it is very vain of us humans to think we can save or destroy the Earth through only what we know. I'm fully aware of what we know through science is very VERY detailed and through, but still that's probably only 1/1000000000th of what we don't know yet... :) Maybe?

Yes, I know atomic bombs can change the world drastically. My ancestors were the direct victims, some 60 years ago. :(
But still... Here we are...

BillW

12,000 years ago where I live in Northeast PA was a mile under ice. Is human activity speeding up climate change, probably but until the scientists come up with viable solutions all we can do is act responsibly.

MotoReef

12,000 years ago where I live in Northeast PA was a mile under ice. Is human activity speeding up climate change, probably but until the scientists come up with viable solutions all we can do is act responsibly.

True that! :D

johnmaloney

in my area at least, freshwater releases by the ACOE wiped out large swaths of near shore reef. I dove a day before the release, one of the best dives I had, reef was packed with life, then the water turned brown for a week, salt foam was rolling up the beaches, nasty for what we have down here. After it cleared up a bit, (still was murky, but what I consider swimmable for another 10 days or so), all life on the reef gone. Really, not even "the dock turf" (boaters know what I am talking about), that was on the exposed rocks survived and that stuff is bullet proof. On a more positive note, I was recently diving in the Florida Bay and it was amazing. 100s of acres of reef type outcroppings in the middle of a giant and thick seagrass bed. Huge sponges, anemones, corals everywhere, if you get a chance to check out the Keys, you should go.

miaskies

I don't think they realize it's not so much the temp fluctuations, but the over fishing and over harvesting of the fish, corals and live rock(which is the reef itself).I think a lot of harvesters use dynamite on the reef and this is devastating. They take a section of reef and completely wipe it out.Not to mention a lot of countries do not have drainage or shore regulations, so all the waste from people goes into the water, polluting it.Maybe in areas where there are reefs, they need to enforce water regulations and standards, making sure that the water is not becoming polluted due to negligence. That's why I am getting stuff now because in 10-20 years it may become illegal in a lot of places.

Frankie

RS STAFF
It's all good Mark. You know how I stand on environmental issues, I like your views actually, I just try not to post to many articles in the news on that one topic. My point was I would like some more aquarium related news is all. :)