Heading to the beach, what about live sand??

Lost Pirate KY

Heading out next week and planning on starting my 70g set-up the following week. I read in one of my books that natural saltwater is a good way to help start a system. was thinking about bringing home 5 gallons with a air stone in it. what about live sand form the surf line with the critters in it. give me your thoughts ?? would it be worth the trouble?? space and hauling it would be no problem

Thanks

vdituri

A lot of people warn about collecting too close to shore.
May contain contaminants that you don't want. Both live sand and saltwater.

I've read a couple threads too where people collect these things with no problems at all. Just be careful.

slakker

I live by the ocean and was considering doing the same, but a fellow local reefer pointed out that it's about control and predictability... with store bought water, sand or rock, there's a certain amount of predicatbility and quality control (not guaranteed)... but there's nothing even close when collecting yourself. Unless you know the beaches, the conditions, the typical flora and fauna, it can be more hassle than it's worth...

Having said that... I know someone that sails, and may get them to collect some sea water if they are miles from shore...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Also keep in mind that you may be introducing a local "pest/bacteria/pollutant" that the animals in you tank may or may NOT be genetically equipped to battle.