Having temp problems , thinking about a chiller

fellers

I have the rsm250 and I am thinking about a chiller setup for it. I came home today to find my tank above 86 degrees with my downstairs at 70! The heater was the culprit and I did lose a couple fish. Zoos not looking so good either. So I quickly did a water change and got the temp down to around 82. I am hoping that overnight with the new heater off it will cool back down.
Will a chiller eliminate this problem all together for me?
And what chiller setup would you reccomend that wont really break the bank?

BLAKEJOHN

The RSM heaters are known for failing one way or another. Get a new heater and all should be well. Instead of buying a chiller one way to save a few bucks is to use fans blowing across the waters surface if needed.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Jason - still using the RSM heater? They are known to fail - sometimes sticking on, sometimes sticking off. We've even had a couple explode recently.

rhogeo

Get a Finnex Titanium heater, you won't be sorry. Don't get a Stealth or you WILL be sorry. As for getting a chiller, I'd wait and see how your temp runs after it has had a chance to be stable for 24-48 hrs.

dmyers557

Stealth heaters were really good, but they had a bad batch go out. I would try to stay away from them for now.

fellers

Jason - still using the RSM heater? They are known to fail - sometimes sticking on, sometimes sticking off. We've even had a couple explode recently.

sure was and it stuck on very high heat. Lost my midas blenny, my huge mandarin dragonet was about 4 1/2 inches . really bummed about him. Took me forever to find one that big.
I ordered the finnex heater and my temps are at 76 right now and seem to be staying stable. With the lights on. Worried about it dropping to low now when they go off. So i put a cheapy 200 (tetra or something like that) watt heater I had in there till the finnex arrives.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sorry about the losses. :( I wonder how much livestock has been lost to the crappy RSM heaters? It has to be a lot.