Have the feathered, furred, and soon the fish...Christine's New RSM 250

rgslady

Okay...that was a trick. Had to stand on a stool and have my husband hold a flashlight to the skimmer, but all is good. Here are some pics I just took.

2010-10-31111446.jpg

2010-10-31111115.jpg

2010-10-31111614.jpg

2010-10-31111328.jpg

I just cleaned that cup two hours ago...

Maybe those of you who have this can look at these pics and tell me what I should be seeing, as far as performance goes.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Christine thanks for sharing & tell hubby thanks too. Tell us again the model number of your new Deltec skimmer or a link?

Was it just a drop in install? Did you put anything under it to raise it a bit?

rgslady

Your welcome, Glenn...

It's model mc500

Deltec Internal Protein Skimmer MC500

As far as I know, Marine Depot is the only place online to order it from. According to Deltec site, Marine Depot is exclusive US online retailer. And when you try to add it to your cart, it will say temporarily unavailable. It took 3 days to get mine so can't complain!!

I had my husband cut me two pieces of pvc to raise it up. They were 7.5 inches long, and I have the gate in the tank dropped all the way. That way I could make sure it sat above the max water level, looking through the open area. I know others have managed to sink it within the tank so nothing sticks out, but I don't know how to see what I need to see if I do that.

And yes, literally drop it in, and plug it in. Can't get much easier that that!

rgslady

Oh Cool!! I would love to get that power cord to the powercenter, would make life much easier just turning off the switch rather than having to unplug it!

rgslady

So, Max..if I understand this correctly, you pulled out the weir plate, and now using the gate to control the water level. How many notches down is the water on the left side meter?

Max250

Well once you have it working for a few weeks/months and suss it out, it's easy enough to fit it to the powercenter (follow the cable):

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

:)

Max250

So, Max..if I understand this correctly, you pulled out the weir plate, and now using the gate to control the water level. How many notches down is the water on the left side meter?

I ended up just leaving the skimmer's weir plate in (makes no difference if it's just left in and not touched) and Yes, I control the water level the way we normally would using the surface skimmer/gate.

I started with 4 notches down (until you suss it out). Right now mine is at 2 but sometimes I need to reduce it (like when fitting new hardware like a reactor etc).

rgslady

Awesome...thank you so much for your help Max!! I will give it a bit more breakin time then start to modify. Your advice and pics are much appreciated!

rgslady

So yea...putting the cord to the power center was very easy. I had looked your install, Max250, and noticed originally you had the power cord out the back, so I just assumed it wouldn't fit. And I now understand your current install...nice not have to cut anything. But will save that move for another time. :)

Max250

That's great christine, the deltec is set-and-forget once it's broken in and you've got your water levels right. There's a couple of other features that I like:

- You don't have to turn the skimmer off when removing/cleaning the cup.

- You can clean the prefilter without removing the skimmer (its on the right hand side, it slides up and down).

- If you get any noise or vibration gently push on the partition to the left of the cup, there's a little screw that tightens things up (But don't push too hard or the skimmer might come off its bracket - I glued mine on eventually).

- If you hear a gurgling noise from the airtube it's time to remove the pump and clean the pump's air intake (say every 3 months).

- If you turn the skimmer off for 15 minutes each week and pour some hot RO water down the airtube when restarting the pump, it'll help to keep the airtube/intake clean.

Don't stress if the cup overflows when braking in, I'd expect it. If it's happening you might want to open the cup's lid and let the overflow happen to the front and not the back (you'll know what I mean if it happens). You could also reduce the water level in the back chambers.

So the 3 things that you can use to tweek the skimmer to perfection: 1. Water Level in Back Chambers (better being too low than too high) 2. Air Valve (Deltec recommend 2oclock position if using in sump) 3. Skimmer Cup Height (Higher up for dry skimming and lower down for wet skimming).

Look after your aquabee pump. They are specially made for the skimmer and are expensive to replace in the USA. But there is no reason it shouldn't last a lifetime, this aint no redsea pump ;)

Yip, great piece of kit, enjoy :whstlr:

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Very interesting reading all of this, glad it is working out well for you. Have you noticed any drops in water temp and noise levels? The reason I ask is that I have had to switch my original skimmer off at the moment due to the no.1 circ.pump failing ( the skimmer cup keeps overflowing), and the temps have dropped dramatically and I can hear the tv again :)

rgslady

Ya know...there was never really a "noise" issue for me. Maybe because the skimmer pump is still fairly new. And, with the chiller, I have rarely paid attention to temps. Got my fingers in that tank everyday, so I'd know if something were wrong temperature-wise. So I guess those side effects are just added bonuses to this skimmer. I do admit the noise level has reduced. I am just really impressed with it's performance ease of use. After giving it some time to break in, I will be installing like Max250, so it will be totally inside.

Max, can't thank you enough for all your help!!

rgslady

So, it's been a week post Deltec. I am so happy with my decision. Ya get what you pay for!! This skimmer has been awesome. Clean it every other day (easy to do). And finally seeing success with my SPS corals. They were the reason for this upgrade. Montes are happy. Birdsnest flourishing (where I have previously lost two smaller ones). And just received my first set of Saliferts. Got tired of trying to guess with other tests. I just ordered the B Ionic 2 part buffer, after reading good reviews, to help maintain alk and calcium levels, now that I have the need to do that :)

Been a fun 7 months...and looking forward to many more...

The only thing left to really upgrade is the lighting. But I really want to give the T5's a chance. I have seen that many people have had great success in keeping all kinds of corals with them.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Good to hear Christine. If they weren't so darned expensive, I would probably consider the Deltec too.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks for the update on the Deltec Skimmer !!! IMO from all the post I have read... it's the best skimmer you can get for the RSM, if I were to upgrade, it's what I would go with... not cheap, but Deltec = a quality skimmer that works.