Has anyone ever...

SaltNoob

Plucked a few snails and or tiny rock crabs from tide pools and dropped them in their tank?

#Curious

rostervandross

i have brought home a variety of snails from the beach just recently from vacation in Central America ( Carribean side) Some of them I noticed while collecting them were out of the ocean on the rocks and sea walls, and in my tank they also like to get up out of the water. Which can be a pain rescuing them constantly when they get too far over the lip of the glass. They are pretty though, I think they're called red checkered nerite snails and do a fair amount of moving around at night. Then there are these conch type snails that I've had to isolate because I've caught them eating other snails! So some are more suited to tank life than others! The cerith snails seem to be all over and good snails

Last edited:

StirCrayzy

I would if I could... I don't want to get too graphic, but there aren't many appealing items here in our Detroit tide pools.

Paul B

I have been putting these mud snails in my tank since the 70s. I also put in crabs, worms, shrimp, seaweed etc. I have added flounders, crabs, lobsters, horseshoe crabs,,,you get the picture.

SaltNoob

I have been putting these mud snails in my tank since the 70s. I also put in crabs, worms, shrimp, seaweed etc. I have added flounders, crabs, lobsters, horseshoe crabs,,,you get the picture.
ALRIGHT!
Thanks for the info, Paul.

DaveK

It can be lots of fun to collect native species. If your going to do it make sure your not violating any laws, and do consider the conditions you have locally. Some might require cooler water than we typically keep our reef tanks at.

Also, if you have a wide variety of species, consider setting up a tank special for them. You'll have something interesting that few others have.

SaltNoob

It can be lots of fun to collect native species. If your going to do it make sure your not violating any laws, and do consider the conditions you have locally. Some might require cooler water than we typically keep our reef tanks at.

Also, if you have a wide variety of species, consider setting up a tank special for them. You'll have something interesting that few others have.
A separate tank, you say?
I like the sound of that.
Also looked into the local laws and seems ok as long as not over limit.

10 gallon too small for a salty?

cracker

Hello Salt, Your in So.Cal . I'm opposite east coast north Fl. Here, It's considered a temperate climate, not tropical. During the winter months average coastal water temps are in the upper 60's during the summer months water temps can reach 80 degrees. what are the water temps Your way? I spent some time in SD the waters are cold year round and the marine animals there are used to colder temps. Our tanks with corals and such have much higher water temps. Critters You collect may live for a while but in the long term may not be able to handle the warmer water temps. Now a local Fauna tank is a very cool idea. Just need to meet their needs.

SaltNoob

Hello Salt, Your in So.Cal . I'm opposite east coast north Fl. Here, It's considered a temperate climate, not tropical. During the winter months average coastal water temps are in the upper 60's during the summer months water temps can reach 80 degrees. what are the water temps Your way? I spent some time in SD the waters are cold year round and the marine animals there are used to colder temps. Our tanks with corals and such have much higher water temps. Critters You collect may live for a while but in the long term may not be able to handle the warmer water temps. Now a local Fauna tank is a very cool idea. Just need to meet their needs.
Ah, food for thought. I hadn't thought of the temp aspect of things.
Investigating I must do.
Off to the blood red ferrari with TC!

SaltNoob

So here's my averages locally...

Santa Barbara

J F M A M J J A S. O N D
56 57 57 58 60 62 63 65 64 62 60 57

Ventura

J F M A M J J A S O N D
55 57 58 59 61 64 65 67 65 62 60 56

A bit on the cold side, indeed.

I'm sure it can be done though.

EDIT: For some reason the months and temps don't line up when posted, but you get the idea.

ianthepoolguy

I've done this a number of times... Periwinkles are fantastic glass-cleaners, but will climb down the tank, so you really need to check at least once a day!
They can cope with far higher temps than we get in our tanks; they will sit above the waterline in full sun in their native areas, and here, (Cyprus) that can be rock too hot to stand on bare-foot!
I've found that about thirty is ideal for a 50 gallon D/T, with a rate of attrition of about two a week; normally "escapees" that get eaten by the dogs!
I also use Babylonia, who do a decent job of sand-shifting, and I have a few serpent stars, all caught locally.
Because there's no coral in their local habitat, it's not likely to form part of their diet. If I see a nuisance alga in the tank, I will actively seek out grazers from similar algae in the rock pools... Nothing in the new tank yet though!
Crabs are another matter; local hermits will be used to taking those same snails' shells and think nothing of killing the snails!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul B

I have kept a local tank most of my life. Here in the north east we have a large variety of creatures that will live in an un heated tank for a long time, some almost forever. There are some pipefish, blowfish, butterflies, minnows and a bunch of crabs, shrimp and snails in here.

SaltNoob

Thanks @Poolguy & Paul for the input.

I think I'm going to research a bit and attempt a small "local" tank.

One question...

Are protein skimmer a necessity on smaller tanks such as a 10 gallon?

Paul B

I don't use any filtration on that tank. I just use some of my reef tank water every week or so to change some of the water.

Paul B

There is only some daylight on my local tank as the visibility here is only a few inches to a couple of feet so it is always dark here under a few feet of water. I use a small powerhead for circulation.

SaltNoob

There is only some daylight on my local tank as the visibility here is only a few inches to a couple of feet so it is always dark here under a few feet of water. I use a small powerhead for circulation.
Awesome, thanks for the info.