Harveymeister's RSM S-500

So, I was out today, and found a Red Sea S-500 for sale. Went home and verified the measurements. Made the call and pulled the trigger. I am going in tomorrow to pay for the tank. The total is $2500 with a JBJ 1/4hp chiller. :dance: This is going to be one hell of a upgrade from my 250. After talking to my GF, I will be putting my RSM250 up for sale. Need to recoup some of my money if possible. I can't use 2 tank systems. LOL!!

I will keep you all posted on how this goes.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Wow that was quick LOL :p Nice score though!!

Looking forward to your new build already and I have no doubts it's going to be awesome from your experience with the 250! :)

Thanks! I thought it was a great buy. When I saw that, I couldn't pass it up. I just had to make sure I had the correct space for it before I pulled the trigger. I am looking forward to this also. I wanted the S-500 from the get go, but the price stopped me. With this, I can go crazy now....LOL!!!!

Alright everyone......now comes the next big question. I am planning on getting some new crushed coral live sand when I do this exchange. I am going to be using my current rock and as much of my current sw as possible. If I do this.....will I still need to wait for 4 weeks before I put my livestock in the tank? I don't want to kill anything!!!

Went and paid for the tank today. I am having them tear down my RSM250. Save most of my water, my rock and livestock/corals. Move the 250, and setup the S-500. I ended up getting new sand, and they are going to have it up and running before they leave, with my rock and livestock/corals in the tank. I am really looking forward to this. I always wanted to S-500 to begin with, now I will have it. LOL!!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Chris just pic an Aragonite sand... lots & lots threads on RS saying don't use a crushed coral - if it's not to late ;) many many thread of members changing from cc to sand

hope this helps & again - :woohoo: congrats on the new tank !!!!!!!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Alright everyone......now comes the next big question. I am planning on getting some new crushed coral live sand when I do this exchange. I am going to be using my current rock and as much of my current sw as possible. If I do this.....will I still need to wait for 4 weeks before I put my livestock in the tank? I don't want to kill anything!!!

+1 to what Glenn is saying and go work on going with the coarser sand that's not crushed coral

Also on cycling, you probably won't need to do a whole other cycle but you might want to wait a week or two and do some testing just because it will probably go through another mini cycle. You can even add another prawn (shrimp) just to be sure and to kick of any required cycling that may need to happen :)

Well, tomorrow my 'new' S-500 arrives. I am as prepared as I can get. Glad that the LFS will be responsible for tear down and movement of my RSM250, and the setup of the S-500. I have no idea how much equipment I would have ended up buying to complete that myself. I will be taking some pics of the progress as it happens and posting them after everything is complete. Looks like I am going to end up keeping the RSM 250. My girl wants to keep it to have a fish-only tank so she can get her puffer and cowfish. Guess we will be starting the 250 again from the beginning.

Getting kind of excited now. Not sure what to really expect when it actually happens. Going to be one heck of an experience.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
That's EXCITING! Congrats on the RSM S-500...going to be AWESOME!
Looking very forward to LOTS of pictures :D
:chair::lurk:

Well shoot!!! I got a call 30mins ago from the LFS doing my tank delivery. It appears I will have to wait until Wed now for a delivery due to manning issues. Kinda bummed out since I was really ready for it to come tomorrow. Oh well, gives me a couple more days to do what I need to do I guess. Will keep you posted.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Sorry you got postponed....kinda like Christmas being re-scheduled :yup:
I have to agree on the crushed coral as Glenn mentioned. Bigger grains of sand is better in my opinion.
I had crushed coral in my 135gal FOWLR tank (back then everyone used it) and it was a lot harder to keep looking good.
You'll have tons of decisions to make pretty soon. Mostly all FUN ones :D

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Well like you said, it gives you more time to prepare!! Good luck and keep us posted!

RyanF

Guessing you bought the one at Age of Aquariums. I was there this weekend and I was so annoyed I didn't see this deal before you did. :p Congrats!

Guessing you bought the one at Age of Aquariums. I was there this weekend and I was so annoyed I didn't see this deal before you did. :p Congrats!

That would be the one. LOL!!! Sorry I just had to beat you too the punch on that one. I know that it is a great tank as they had it setup for a while and it was looking great. The only thing I am adding to it is going to be a Phosban reactor to keep phosphates down. I can't wait to get that thing in the house and setup. I am going to be keeping my RSM250 and set it up as a fish-only tank for the woman. Once they arrive, I will start taking pics of the teardown and move of the 250, then of the S-500 setup.