Harlequin Tusk Reef Compatable

mikejrice

I'm curious if anyone here has had any direct experience with harlequin tusks in reef tanks. I've always wanted to try it...

DaveK

Generally I'd say no, but you could try it. They will eat most of your clean up crew. Those teeth are made for crushing shells, so it will get most of your snails and hermit crabs. It will also get shrimp, if you have any of them. They might eat smaller fish, but just about anything will do that.

If your going to try it, have a plan B in case things don't work out. A lot of this depends upon the individual fish.

sirrealism

I have one and yes it does eat shrimp but has left my hermits and snails alone so far. I have had him for about 6 months. The other thing he eats is bristle worms which I found odd but he does it. He will go and dig under a rock for a few seconds then come out with a bristle worm hanging out of his mouth. Other then that he has been a model tank mate

mikejrice

As long as it doesn't bother the corals! I might have to give one a try soon. Thanks for the feedback.

blazend

My LFS has an Indo Pacific in one of there larger tanks. It has softies in it with live rock. He seems to leave the corals alone in that tank but it is only softies. They mentioned them eating any invert they can get there hands on.