happy to be a member

justin003

First off, I would like to say that I love this hobby and I have so many unanswered questions. I have learned so much this past six months I' ve owned my mini reef. I studied biology in college and haven't used much of the information I learned ten years ago due to my job as a medic in todays Army, only the anatomy and physiology aspect of it all. I look forward to chatting with you all and hope that I may return some of your questions with sound advice. My current set-up is as follows:

55 gal saltwater reef aquarium
penguin 150 and 350 filtration with bio wheels, over the back type
solarmax 48" double T-5 with 8 led's
35 lbs live rock/sand bed
1100 gph korilla water mover
14 heads frogspawn
xenia
kryptonite candy cane, 5 heads
purple button polyps, approx 100
unidentified stem coral, green
purple condy anemone
1 sailfin tang
1 orange and 1 black oscilaris clowns
1 bicolor blenny
1 orange spot goby
1 pajama cardinal
1 purple sea urchin
1 turbo snail
and of course, many more invertebrates that are too numerous to list

I am curently have an aptasia problem that i will be dealing with today with the aid of aptasia-x.
I also am having a problem with my zoanthids not opening fully. I have tried many of the remedies found throughout this forum and would be very thankful if someone would like to help me save these beautiful creatures. I'll be looking foward to your responses!

Justin

rgfast

Hi WELcome to RS if you would give us your water test info and maybe someone can help

landshark

Hi and :welcomera to RS , and I hope you save your zoanthids. As for getting rid of you aptasia IMO I would suggest getting a Peppermint Shrimp to take it but that would require you to provide for the shrimp after he dose his job. I view chemical control methods as a last resort :yup:

cyychan

I bought a filefish, the one I have in this picture, as soon as I saw a little polyp of aptasia on a piece of my rock. These fish eats aptasia. I have had no problem ever since, and have also noticed it had eated up a few unknown white fluffy bits that used to grow on my rocks too. So it generally did some tidying up for me. May be you would consider getting one of these. They are slow growing, absolutely mild in nature, very shy and never kicked up any fuss with my yellow tang and valentini puffer.

Attachments

• filefish.jpg
    filefish.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 8

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif