Hang-On Algae Scrubbers

Hey there everyone. I have been looking for some information on a hang-on algae scrubber for my RSM250. I saw the HOG but am not sure what I should get or if it will work for my tank. I have read that having one of those on the tank would help keep the algae at bay in the DT.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks goma! Are there any other hang-on scrubbers that might be considered? Since I don't have a lower sump or anything, I just want to make sure I look at all available configurations.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You might want to send BigAl a PM and ask him. He is running one and I believe he did quite a bit of research prior to picking his.

I watched the videos on this.. It looks like it could fit in the back sump and be out of sight. If you took the Skimmer out. I would love to see the results of this experiment.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I know BigAl, Glenn and Courtney are all running scrubbers. Hopefully one of them will post an update.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
It may be too early for them to give a testament to the effectiveness and benefits of the algae scrubber but I'm sure looking forward to the update also. I'd like to know about cleaning it & if it gets to be a dreaded chore. I don't need anymore dreaded chores :yup:
So maybe they can at least tell us how maintenance is so far. ???

Hey there everyone!!! I see this is starting to come up as a question regarding the maintenance of the HOG scrubber. I have had mine running for about three weeks.

First off, it did a great job of growing algae in the unit. See pic below.

IMG_0414.jpg

I took my scrubber out yesterday for cleaning for the first time. It is recommended to clean out at approx 21 days. I took out the portion that is inside my DT and used a toothbrush to remove the excess algae and the algae that is starting to break down. That was a lot of gunk to remove. Using the toothbrush allows the removal of large quantities of algae, but leave the smaller stuff still inside as the seed for the growing of new algae.

I think it is still too early to tell if this scrubber will in the long term produce the desired results of reducing algae in the DT. I think it is going to take a while longer to determine this. I will talk about this at a later date once I can give a good review on this scrubber.

My levels are still doing well. I haven't seen any viewable effects yet in the DT. I still run the skimmer since that is what pulls the waste products from the water. From everything I have read, this scrubber is supposed to help reduce water changes since the scrubber and the skimmer kind of work in tandem to clean the water of nitrates. Still too early to measure any real metrics of water quality yet.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I watched the videos on this.. It looks like it could fit in the back sump and be out of sight. If you took the Skimmer out. I would love to see the results of this experiment.

Would be cool if fitted in back... but not if you only run a AS... I see it as 100% in conjunction with a skimmer, for me I would not run a small AS & no skimmer, would only even consider this if I had a sump & a huge AS.