Hair Algae

aquaman24

After my tank cycled i started to get a huge amount of hair algae in my tank and it just took over. I started manually removing chunks of it and later on bought an emerald crab. I also kept the lights off for a week and this all worked and left the tank hair algae free. About a month after this, the hair algae started to grow again. how long should i leave my lights on(i usually leave them on for 8 hrs). and how many gallons should i be changing weekly to get rid of this hair algae forever? ( i have a 12 gallon nanocube dx) Thank You

DaveK

This problem comes up a lot. To help you resolve algae problems I present -

DaveK's Standard Lecture #2 - Algae Control

Algae control comes down to controlling nitrates and phosphates. If you have a problem with algae it is because these two nutrients are out of control. Do not think that just because your test kits read zero or low values that you do not have a problem. In many cases the algae is removing the nutrients and growing. This is why there is a problem.

Here are possible sources of nitrates and phosphates -

Feeding, especially flake food and not rinsing frozen foods before feeding.
Using tap water to mix salt. Always use RO/DI water for this.
"Dirt traps" and "nitrate factories" in the system.
Low quality carbon can leach nutrients.
Low quality salt can sometimes add nutrients. This is unusual today.

Here are possible ways to remove nitrates and phosphates -

Water changes. Change 1/2 the water and you reduce the nutrients by 1/2.
Skimming. Remove the waste products before the biological filtration need to break then down.
Nitrate and phosphate removal products.
Deep sand beds.
Refugiums.
Algae Scrubbers.

Each of these has advantages and disadvantages. Most people that control algae well use many of the above methods.

There are also other items that can effect algae growth rates.

Good clean up crew.
Other livestock that eats algae.
Low general water quality, especially when the readings are off.
Lighting, sometimes you can reduce it, especially in FO or FOWLR systems.
Old light bulbs. Colors change as they age and this can be a factor.
Water flow. More flow will often help keep algae down.
Manual removal. Very important, especially when there is a big problem.

aquaman24

for my water changes i have been using tap water but adding some AquaSafe water conditioner. would this be the cause of the green hair algae? and is it safe to add sand in a tank with livestock in it?(ocellaris clownfish, cleaner shrimp, snails and crabs)

1Reefer

Id say yes... I have been. Adding sand slowely over the past 6 weeks ( added some today acctually) but I only add like 2 cups, yes the measuring ones, at a time so as to not suffocate any good stuff in the sand ( and I have nasi and cerith snails)

I have no idea about the water conditioner... I use no additives other than my B-Ionic buffer