H2O D-D salt users

swissgaurd

for the past month ive noticed my PH drop below 8.0
i use kalkwasser and a calcium reactor
yesterday i recalibrated my ph meter.
i mixed a fresh batch for 24 hrs and today measured.
i get a reading of 7.87 ph

i know after 24hrs of mixing the saltmix should be 8.2 ph

has anyone checked a freshbatch lately or are they getting a low ph

vic

Frankie

RS STAFF
Are you mixing the whole batch prior to use? D+D salt is very similar to RBS and I had to mix mine by rolling the bag around on the floor for a spell prior to use because of settling from shipping from overseas. D+D comes from England if I am not mistaken.

swissgaurd

i pour the bucket into another bucket and then back again before use do to the settling issue,ive used other salts and always mix my salt before using

Frankie

RS STAFF
Good deal :thumbup:
I know a lot of people on zeovit.com use this salt with great results.
If all other test results are reading positive I would not concern myself with it. A PH of 7.8 is in the acceptable range imo.

swissgaurd

why im concerned is i usually have a ph of 8.1 and now the tank only gets 7.9 max.
im not used to that,even in the winter months.
i was thinkin of adding a ph buffer to the fresh batch.
not sure if this is a good idea or not.

vic

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sorry to take so long. It's been a while and I needed to confirm my knowledge first before responding.
RO/DI water should have a PH in the range of 7.0 So your a bit on the low side and this could be the reason for your recent drop. I it is really bugging you you can try changing out the DI resin. This should bring it back up if I am not mistaken. Personally I would hold out until the TDS readings go up or the PH drops more.
Here is some good reading for you. I just finished reading it. What a mouthful Randy provides! LOL :)
Reverse Osmosis/Deionization Systems to Purify Tap Water for Reef Aquaria by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
I am also going to move this thread over to the chemistry forum. Boomer may have some better insight on the subject.

swissgaurd

thanks guys
never thought that the ph of plain water would bring my ph down.
i changed my DI and changed my filters even though the filters didnt need it.
i mixed a fresh batch yesterday and the ph is 8.1,
i dumped my top up water and put in fresh water my tank yesterday went imeadiatly to 8.0.

that tells me just because my tds meter says 0 ppm doesnt mean the water is good.

thanks again
vic