Gruesome Linkia

Jackalope

OK ok ok... i'm not posting any pics of this guy atm. way to horrid looking. kids may have nightmares etc etc.

-My Blue Linkia i've had in my tank now for oh... 18months nearing 2 years-ish has decided to melt. this happend w/in 24 hours. all but one leg was melting. now ive kept water perams perfect for this guy for all this time and he even eats what tidbits he finds in the sand after feeding. this guy seriously was healthy! i thought for hours on what the heck i did different to change up a param that would induce melting. i put a little alkilinity from b-ionic in this time but was a dose for 50 gallons and i have approx. 280 gallons of water volume. nah couldnt be... the rock. The NEW rock i made up and cured for a little over a month and a half (yes Juan. "The Bridge") is still trying to spike the ph up by a full point over a few day's time frame. thats the only thing i could see possible. so now after using up all my aquavitro salinity (120 bucks a bucket) doing a 20 gallon water change every day. ive learned 2 things:

1: buy cheaper freaking salt like RS Coral Pro? lol
2: when you think its done and you say nah little longer... wait a little longer AGAIN!

-now on a good note. this guy is now munching down on something he found in the old rocks like nothing has happend and is actually not melting anymore And looks like one arm is getting the blue skin regened some. i could be wrong but i actually think this guy has a chance if i keep a closer eye on the ph... which ive Never done in my life.

here is a pic of him pristine a week ago
2010-12-11213628.jpg

jpsika08

Looks like he is doing great, James, you should consider a controller, with such a big tank I think it's a must, once you have it you will never let it go.

Jackalope

oh no that's actually Before he was melting! lol
yes controller from neptune sounds good, but i'm still working on my funding... i mean my wife for the mp40/s lol
as of now i am the controller/monitor a good 12 hours a day unless i decide to sleep. being a stay-at-home-dad gets boring =-\

Jackalope

well it was 30 gallons... about every 2 weeks. im doing 5 - 10 gallons a day atm, as there's no way i can pull this rock back out. the bridge weighs 75-80 lbs. DRY lol.
so the only option atm is constant water changes and this god forbidden Hagen PH kit im slightly color blind GAH! Hanna Instruments soon to be ordered!

Robzilla

The digital world is a blessing for the colorblind :) Healthy water changes will make sure your params are just right. If your new water has perfect params, then step up the amount being changed. It could be pH shock so that would be the first thing I would try to get stable.

Jackalope

so far its at 7.8 which its been since day one. now i did test the water i was taking out the first round and was nearly 9. that tells me the rock/agracrete is still leaching down its higher ph to the water column = its not fully cured as i thought it was.

Robzilla

pH seems to be the issue. Try to keep it stable in the 8's with water changes until whatever is leaching stops. Or you could lower your pH with an acid like lemon juice or something.

Jackalope

well the issue is "riht out of the box" so-to-speak rodi is 7.0-7.1ish, mixed to .025SG it becomes 7.8-7.9 how do i raise it up? in FW i knew tricks to do it, but jeezus that was nearly 20 years ago.

and another Q: Whats Alkilinity in relation to PH? i mean anything over 7.0 is alkaline. under 7.0 is acidic. is there a relation or no? i get confused to easilly...

Jackalope

hey rob check out my chronical... the last page. i did every test i could. seems i had oone bad test set for ph. now im closer to the correct readings i hope, i listed every event i noticed.