Grocery Store Clams

I've read that clams bought from the grocery store are good nitrate filters for your tank. From what i gather the store sells live clams on ice, and when put in a bowl of water the live ones "burp." which means they're safe to put in the tank, and bury themselves in the sand.
i think it was on the saltwaterfish.com forum, and they had a thread going for a year of people having much success with them.
if you haven't already i say give it a try. they're cheap, and if it doesn't work out your crabs will thank you.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
I would not suggest them they are cold water clams I use tham for food for Large angels & other predator fish

wasupdavey

Oh LittleNeck Clams work. They are "supposedly" cold water clams. Bought mine from a Local Grocery store in the Sea food section. I got two clams brought em' home and quarantined it for about 2 wks then transferred them to my main tank. My tank temp. is 78F. Been well over 2 months now still living and nirates are down! :) Oh PS they turn over your sand since they dig around and move around all day long while sticking their cool tubes out of the sand :D

wasupdavey

Heres a picture of my clam. Well you can only see the *Feeding Tubes* as I highlighted for you had them for over 2 months as I said. Don't get too many of these clams as I tried it once all starved to death. 1 Clam is efficient enough for running up to 50gal tank.

Btw these guys always burried in the sand the other one in my tank went under the rocks or somthing I can't even find him anymore D:

kathywithbirds

yeah, interesting!! I like cool sand dwellers and inverts.

BTW davey, what's that scary red legged thing in the pic and avatar?

wasupdavey

Scarlet leg hermit crabs. The ones from the Avatar are from along time ago. The hermits crabbed tripled their size now. Its amazing how fast they grow. Anyways thats the clam alright =] By the way these clams *Do Not* use lighting.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm curious to know how LONG they make it in your tank. This is several fold...

#1 Temperature difference could accelerate their metabolism and shorten their life span

#2 Temperature difference could induce some illness/disease they aren't accustomed to

#3 These particular clams normally live in a fairly "nutrient rich" environment with is basically the OPPOSITE of what we are striving for in our reef tanks. We strive for pristine water which means we are stripping the water of the majority of free-nutrients in our systems. Those who HAVE these filter feeders are usually overly tempted to use filter feeder additive and possibly well on their way to "polluting" their tank and causing an algae bloom or Nitrate Explosion. They don't require light because they rely entirely on filtering free nutrients from the water column.

Don't get me wrong .. I have a fire scallop in my tank and have had now for 20 months..... LOVE it!!

Allen

wasupdavey

For me its fine since I only have 2 in my tank. They just picking up any floating algae or micro organisims on my tank. Besides just like any other bivalue living on live rock in a tank doesn't really bother me (Mussels/Oyster/Clams)