Green mandarin

sirrealism

Rufas2008 Do youthink you could make a DIY thread for the feeder. We all know PaulB is the inventor but to to see how to make one its in the middle of his 100+ page thread and for some it might be hard to find. It looks simple. Kind of like how I did the DIY brine shrimp hatchery so those who have not done it will have a step by step thread. Are you putting unhatched eggs in there or are you hatching them first? Have you thought about Decaping them first? Thanks

rufus2008

Hatching them first so the brine shrimp swim through and up to the lights. All i did was use a Rubbermaid container, cut the center of the lid out, cut a hole in the lid for the airline (quick is the feeding line), and put the netting between the container and lid. Hatch the eggs for a day or so, suck the up in a 30 mls syringe (any syringe minus the needle would work), insert the end of the syringe into the airline and press. That's all there is to it.

Oxylebius

Sorry if you already mentioned this (I skimmed the thread but didn't seen it) are you gut-loading the brine shrimp ? For added nutrients for the mandarin. Just curious.

sirrealism

yes they are newly hatched brine which is a good food source for mandarins after the first 24 hours of life there nutrition goes down very fast. They are also great food for corals 2

sirrealism

Rufas have you heard of decaping brine? I am thinking of trying it this way so they so I just put the shrimp still not alive but with out shell in the bowl. If you read my DIY brine shrimp hatchery thread it talks about decaping the brine. I am just thinking this because the younger the shrimp are the more food value they have. Its very simple to do and you can use all the same set up you have but you would not have to have the hatchery going. I dont know if it will work only because I dont know if there is enough flow in the feeder but its worth a shot. I hatch my brine on the kitchen counter and I am sure my wife would rather I didnt.

rufus2008

I do the same (kitchen counter) and my hubby keeps thinking the air pump is the dishwasher haha. The decapsulated ones wouldn't work in mine because the only time there is flow is when i inject the bbs down the airline. But they might work for you.

rufus2008

Got home last night after a 12 hour shift and my mandarin was waiting for me on his diner as if to say "it's about time" lol. I'm really glad he's caught on to it. Only problem is the cardinals really like the dinner too and tend to hover over it all day. So i ordered a Tom aquatic continuous bbs feeder to install in the tank plus the mandarin diner so I'm hoping that'll draw the cardinals away from his diner. Hasn't arrived in the mail yet but I'll let you know how it faired out.

Oxylebius

Thanks for keepin us posted. Would like to hear how the tom aquatic continuous bbs feeder works out for you.

rufus2008

Here it is in action. It does work it's spitting out a continuous flow of bbs. The damsels and clowns and cardinals love it.
78824b666d8cc2732d8dc2c432e14b7a.jpg

If you can blow up the picture you can see the bbs swimming up the tube and out the door (for lack of a better word)

rufus2008

One thing i don't like about it is the single auction cup mount. I hate auction cups, They always fail. I may try to rig it up to take a hydor koralia magnet if i can. That would make me feel better. I have some large fish that spook (one spot foxface) and i could just see him knocking it down.

NanaReefer

I just watched a couple YouTube videos on this hatchery/feeder. All's I gotta say is....Mandarin here I come-only kidding-Lol. 5yrs reefing and I didn't know such a thing existed. Way cool!!

rufus2008

Here's a picture after two days of use. Getting kind of gunky will have to clean it tomorrow. I'm gonna pick up some crazy glue and try to get the koralia magnet onto it. Something already gave it a good push.
d6241b15012e4e739bf00002cb9cb00e.jpg