Green Hair Algae

Ralphj

Hi
I have green hair algae growing on one of my rocks, do you recommend me to take it out?

i have rsm130d

thanks

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
is the tank cycling? is it established. While removing it is always good if you can, it will probably come back unless you identify why its showing up. My 92 is finishing up its last stages of cycling, and i have some green hair algae groing. It was already established, and i added some new Dry Lace Rock, bam whole new cycle. I tested for amonia, trites and trates, Amonia 0, trites 0, trates 30. Did a few WC's and added some blue leg hermits. They are having a feast eating all that green algae. If your amonia and nitrites are 0, and trates under 40, u can safely add a few snails/hermits to knock out the algae.

Ralphj

The tank is not cycling, it is established, 6 months
I have a blue hermit , maybe I should add some more
Thanks

carlfike

I'm in the same boat. Tank is about 6 months old and the gha is driving me nuts. Tried everything. Hoping it runs it course.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
A cycle would help so would controlling the plants food which is phosphate n nitrate typically added by using non rodi water and over feeding. Where are you erring?

..........rarely am I speechless

redfish

I also have green hair algae....I do not over feed if anyhting I may underfeed. My phos are running at a 1 since April.....I am charting them using aqua planner pro.

Not sure if I need to take some sort of action or just let it run its course?

steved13

PREMIUM
Hi
I have green hair algae growing on one of my rocks, do you recommend me to take it out?

i have rsm130d

thanks

I might be reading this wrong but...Yes if you can remove the rock I would take it out. If the algae is on only one rock it could be that rock is leaching.

redfish

Well thats a good question I did have but I notice some of the small shails are empty laying around. So not sure what all I realy have left from my orginal clean up crew. Looks like I need to find a reasonable place to buy some more to throw in.

redneckgearhead

I have fought HA for almost 2 years now. YES 2 YEARS. I had a 75g tank given to me, lock, stock and barrel. It was in HORRIBLE shape and I have spent hundreds maybe thousands of $ trying to rid my tank of this dreaded plague. The final death blow to the HA, phosban and an old water filter housing full of de-nitrater. I tried all kinds of animals that where a sure bet to take care of the problem but NONE of them worked long term and only a few worked short term. My tank is currently 95% HA free and the remaining is dieing by the day. And a disclaimer, since I have had a HA problem my nitrates and phosphates always read 0's, it was bound up in the HA. I use an algae scrubber but, it couldn't seem to catch up.

I buy snails EVERY time I go into the LFS and if it has been a few weeks since I been to the LFS I order from reef cleaners. Snails are high mortality animal the flip over and die, the die for no obvious reason, crabs catch them and eat them...etc.