Green Bubble Tip or BAD anenome

elpez930

I recently noticed on a rock near by green bubble tip something that looks like a mini version. My first thoughts were, "great!," the anemone reproduced.

I shared this news with my local live fish store today and he didn't share my enthusiasm. Apparently there is a real nasty and invasive anemone that looks like a bubble tip. Without a picture he could not be certain, but he thought if the bubble tip reproduced it would have split and produced another anemone of comparable size, not a smaller version. I forget the name he used for it.

The suspect anemone was about penny size when I first noticed it and now it is about the size of a quarter.It has the characteristic bubbles on each of its green tips. I will try to post a picture so everyone can see what I'm talking about. Unfortunately it's difficult to get a clear and zoomed in photo.

I would appreciate any HELP you could give in identifying this anemone and whether I should eliminate it from my tank.

Thanks

Just added a photo but its hard to see without zooming in. Also it appears much more green to the naked eye.

anenome_zpsedffbd4c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DaveK

It looks like a Majano anemone to me, but it can sometimes be tough to tell for sure. Majano anemones are going to be small, about the same size as the other problem anemone Aiptasia. Yes, they do look a bit like small BTAs.

It's best to get rid of it. They can really spread fast.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Wondering, does Aptasia-X work on them? Just in case that rock it too hard to get out of the rock scape? :ponder2:
Sorry elpez...I know when you want it to be something good, it's kinda disappointing when it isn't. :(
And I don't like to kill anything (except mass quantities of Vermited snails right now :chainsaw:)

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Wondering, does Aptasia-X work on them? Just in case that rock it too hard to get out of the rock scape? :ponder2:
Sorry elpez...I know when you want it to be something good, it's kinda disappointing when it isn't. :(
And I don't like to kill anything (except mass quantities of Vermited snails right now :chainsaw:)

I use pickling lime instead of Aptasia-X(cheaper and I can make it as I need it, think they are basically the same thing). Anyway, yes it kills them. It can kill corals if you are not careful with it.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Yep, I've not had to use it (YET) but i would think you'd need to be very careful about using anything like that with other corals in the tank. Maybe turn off the pumps & use as small amount as possible & then do a good water change. Even the last putty & glue session I did made me have to do a water change to get my skimmer to act right. Think I glued too many frags at one time :( ...but nothing died THANK GOODNESS!

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Yep, I've not had to use it (YET) but i would think you'd need to be very careful about using anything like that with other corals in the tank. Maybe turn off the pumps & use as small amount as possible & then do a good water change. Even the last putty & glue session I did made me have to do a water change to get my skimmer to act right. Think I glued too many frags at one time :( ...but nothing died THANK GOODNESS!

Pickling lime is Kalk. You do not need to do a water change after using it. Unless you are planning on nuking a lot of stuff and the die off could possible create a problem.