Green Anemone -- can someone help ID?

Jetbkk

Today I purchased this green anemone. They had quite a few really big ones, but this is pretty small, perhaps 4" in diameter.

Any idea what type it is? The photo was taken a few minutes after putting it in my tank so it is probably still a bit grumpy.

Thanks!

Attachments

• green_anemone_sm.jpg
    green_anemone_sm.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 145

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
It is tough to say. Let it settle in a bit and take another photo. Where it sets it foot will help to identify it also (sand,rock).
If I had to guess now, I'd say LTA (M. doreensis). They tend to wonder around a lot during the first few weeks before settling down.

Jetbkk

Here are some better photos, 24 hours after being put in my tank.. Still think it is an LTA?

Thanks..

Attachments

• LTA_2.jpg
    LTA_2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 106
  • LTA.jpg
    LTA.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 107

Slickcg33

Def an LTA, they usually prefer the sand bed. If it isnt attached to that rock I would place it on the sand bed so it could burry its foot. If it is attached, let it do its own thing because an LTAs foot is very susceptible to tearing.

On a side note, is this the 3rd anemone you are adding to your 50 gallon? from you other post it appears you have a bleached gig, and from you avatar icon it appears you have a bleached BTA. Are the LTA BTA and GIG in the same 50 gallon tank? If so I think you have a recipe for disaster. It also says you have a seabe in your sig. Sounds like someone has an anemone addiction lol

Jetbkk

Hi Slickcg33: I traded in the carpet because I didn't like it, so I still have a total of 2 anemones.

So I have the Sebae and this LTA. That's it.

The "bleached" Sebae has been in there more than 2 months and is looking very good. the tentacles are pointing up and it takes food, etc. Are you really 100% sure that this isn't also a natural color, just perhaps not common in the US? Mine came from Thailand, where I live.

Last edited:

Slickcg33

The LTA looks fine and healthy, the pic in your avatar is what i was referring to as bleached. In time it was darken in color with stable parmas and regular feedings. Florescent, white or clear colors are all bleaching symptoms.
I had a Lta that was green with white tips, the white ended up turning to tan the healthier it got.

Jetbkk

Thanks Slickcg. I'll keep the thread posted on how it does.

The one in my photo that you refer to as bleached really seems to be healthy. It has been in the tank over 2 months and looks good. It tends to wash out in the photos because it is much brighter than everything else in the tank so the exposure washes it out. But it is still yellow for sure.

Are you really sure there are no "natural" species of this color, especially from Thailand and the Andaman where this is from? Just wondering..

This article about diving in Thailand refers to "bright yellow" anemones here that would seem to be similar to what I have: Phuket diving: andaman's amazing anemones

Slickcg33

Thanks Slickcg. I'll keep the thread posted on how it does.

The one in my photo that you refer to as bleached really seems to be healthy. It has been in the tank over 2 months and looks good. It tends to wash out in the photos because it is much brighter than everything else in the tank so the exposure washes it out. But it is still yellow for sure.

Are you really sure there are no "natural" species of this color, especially from Thailand and the Andaman where this is from? Just wondering..

This article about diving in Thailand refers to "bright yellow" anemones here that would seem to be similar to what I have: Phuket diving: andaman's amazing anemones

I am not sure to the point where I would bet my life on it, I’m sure there are exceptions to the rules, although I’ve never seen a picture of a true yellow healthy specimen. 2 months in anemone time is not long at all. You have a healthy established anemone at around 6 months(im not saying yours isnt healthy or under the right conditons. It appears to be a bit bleached from your pic in avatar but its hard to tell that small.). I’ve had anemones that I knew were going to die taking as long as 1-2 months just to kick the bucket. An example would be, LTA with holes in their foot, taking that long to perish.

I’ve skimmed through your article and they do state that they collect bright yellow anemones for cooking. I would venture to say its not one of the known hosting species of anemones since they don’t state a species name. Also they don’t show any pictures of a yellow anemone.

Earlier in the article:
“They do not live deeper than this because they contain' Zooxanthellae'. These are microscopic organisms similar to algae. They photosynthesize and provide the anemone with most of its nutritional requirements.
Zooxanthellae also produce much of the color that anemones show. If an anemone is kept in very low light conditions, the Zooxanthellae die or evacuate in search of a better home, just as happens with corals when the water temperature rises to high. The result is a white anemone (or coral) that will slowly starve to death even if fed. Small of fishes or prawns will be accepted by the tentacles and be slowly moved towards the central mouth, where they are ingested and after a couple of days excreted though the same opening.””

I would like to add to the part where it says the result is a white anemone. That is the very end result. An anemone just starting to lose Zoa will go through a variety of color changes usually looking like florescent versions of their original color, and often translucent.

The yellow that I’ve seen that are natural colors, are a deeper yellow usually highlights mixed with other colors. For example there is a BTA called a lemon drop BTA. It is a green BTA with a dark, not florescent, Yellow in the tentacles. I’ve also seen yellowish, MAGS and GIGS however they aren’t a traditional yellow, it’s usually mixed with a TAN color or more towards the green scale.

Jetbkk

Here is a photo of the sebae from today. Until I get a macro it is hard to take a proper shot of it though.

I don't think it looks sick at all, but i defer to the experts on that one. The tentacles are not limp, and it takes food.

Attachments

• anemone.jpg
    anemone.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 52

Slickcg33

To me it looks like you could have a Heteractis Magnificent rather then a H. crispa. I know H. Crispa(seabe) usually prefer sand. Could you get a picture of its base? It appears that whatever the anemone is, it was once bleached and it is successfully rebounding..

Jetbkk

Hi Slickcg... when I was looking around on Google yesterday I actually thought it looked like a Heteractis Magnificent (or Ritteri Anemoni) as well.. So I'll second that.

I'll try to get a picture if it decides to move around. It has been happy in that spot for a while and I don't want to disturb it for now..

Thanks for the help..