green algae

jlh2jy

I have tested my water on my tank and everything is good. It is a oceanic biocube 8 gallon I change the water once a week and the lights are on for 10 hours. In a weeks time I have green algae all over. I have had many tanks and this is the first time that I am having this problem. I also have 8 snails and 8 hermit crabs and that is not working eather. Please help, as I am startting to hate this tank. beat_dead_horse
p.s. the tank has been going for 18 months

Bounce

It would help to know what you mean by 'green algae'. Is it the bright green (harder to remove) stuff that tends to form on the glass? Is it green hair algae? Is it... ?

When you say you tested the water and everything is good, does that mean you tested for phosphates too? Are you using tap water or RO?

lcstorc

We would need a lot more details for anything specific, but ultimately excess nutrients fuel the algae.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
what's IN the tank?

How often do you feed?

What do you feed?

What are the specific water test results?

How much water do you change?

what is your SOURCE water?

Keep in mind the smaller the tank the quicker these things happen but manual removal, water changes, and nutrient removal is your key to trying to keep it under control.

Good luck :)

nashdk

Hi

Your water tests comes out fine as the algae grows by consuming all the nitrates and phosphates in the water.

Turbo/Astrea snails and hermit crabs are not very effective at removing hair algae. For that you need a golfball sized Sea Hare which can easily eat all hair algae in a tank up to 70 gallons in a few weeks. You need somewhere to place it afterwards though otherwise it will starve to death after having cleaned your tank.