Great Barrier Reef Loses Half its coral

steved13

PREMIUM
Thanks to Bigal07 for this one.

Australia's Great Barrier Reef has lost more than half its coral cover in the past 27 years due to storms, predatory starfish and bleaching linked to climate change, a study has found..
The research by scientists from the Australian Institute of Marine Sciences (AIMS) and the University of Wollongong warned that coral cover on the heritage-listed reef -- the world's largest -- could halve again by 2022 if trends continue.

Intense tropical cyclones -- 34 in total since 1985 -- were responsible for much of the damage, accounting for 48 percent, with outbreaks of the coral-feeding crown-of-thorns starfish linked to 42 percent.

Two severe coral bleaching events in 1998 and 2002 due to ocean warming also had "major detrimental impacts" on the central and northern parts of the reef, the study found, putting the impact at 10 percent.

Two-thirds of the loss had occurred since 1998, with the rate of decline increasing substantially and only three of the 214 individual reefs surveyed across the sprawling 345,000 square kilometre site escaping any impact.

"This loss of over half of initial cover is of great concern, signifying habitat loss for the tens of thousands of species associated with tropical coral reefs," the study said.

Read the whole story

barrier-coral_650x366.jpg

lbiminiblue

While it is definitely worrying short term, i don't think this will change much. The ocean is just so hard to change quickly albeit a massive oilspill....there's an interesting book i read on global warming....

vsindorf

yes but being influenced by global warming caused by humans

Exactly. Stories like this should make us all advocates for major action to slow the rate of climate change we are causing. I'll refrain from getting on my soapbox, but if people like us, whose love of our mini reefs should spill over into love of natural reefs, aren't moved to respond to these issues, who will be?

reduce reuse recycle.
(there, I'm done! :) )

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Let's all take a step back, a nice big breath and take this information for what it is.

Let's not get into this debate and drag this Front Page News article into the ditches.

lbiminiblue

Same here, won't rant, but the earth has undergone MUCH more drastic climate changes, and in warmer periods life tends to thrive- colder periods aren't as conducive to life.

vsindorf

Same here, won't rant, but the earth has undergone MUCH more drastic climate changes, and in warmer periods life tends to thrive- colder periods aren't as conducive to life.

The change isn't as much a problem as the RATE of change. This isn't just another cyclic variation, it's a big deal. and it MUST be taken seriously.

lbiminiblue

....But the coral bleaching doesn't necessarily mean the rest of the world will be destroyed by "higher" levels. I just wanted to say that in this book i read, it says a lot about how this '"global warming" started up around the time when the Soviets closed ddowsn their measuring stations in the arctic as they wanted to concentrate their effort trying to keep themselves together- so of course it would seem the average temperature looks hotter.

vsindorf

you know, if you want to learn out about climate change you should really read actual scientific papers, not books about Soviets.