Grain Alcohol?

mps9506

Glad to see you are removing the bacteria via the floss.
I was intially worried with this post that people were going to try to pour vodka in their tanks to reduce nutrients.
Personally all these methods are too much work for me.
But glad to see Zeo can be done for much cheaper.

ldrhawke said:
HawkeVit, sounds like a great idea......I could buy a gallon of cheap Vodka cut it with Vinegar, add a few drops of other amino acids, and put it into 64- 2 oz bottles that sell for $19.95 each. I'll make $1000.00 plus per gallon. :jumprope:

Any ideas on what I can do to disguise and repackage the filter floss?

And I thought my idea for a link confirmation business was nuts. :)

On second thought--that idea just may work. :turntable :jumprope:

Anne

ldrhawke

Added Info...... to revive the topic

Now that you are using the NPR ( Nitrogen Phosphate Ranching process) and Hawke's super floss for nutrient export, and have gotten your tank nutrients low, you may need some added nutrients to help pop the colors out of the SPS.

This is a result of my special blend of trace nutrients that bring out the SPS color...see attached....:whstlr:
BLUE-ACRO.jpg

It is my special blend of emulsified Cod Liver oil and clam juice. (amino acids and iron) :thumbup: A few drops a day will brighten up your tank.

Craig Manoukian

Man I think I need a biochem degree! Great information presented. Thanks to all for dumbing the science down for guys, or gals, like me!

dwall174

ldrhawke said:
At the top of my recirculation tank I built a 3" deep rectangular tray with two large holes on the bottom. Two coarse nylon bag filter set in these holes. Into the bags I add a handful of filter floss. All of my tank overflow is directed through the bag filters. As the bag filter begin to clog with waste, the water rises a couple of inches and over flows the tray into the recirculation tank.
Do you have any pic’s of the bag filter set-up? I’m not looking to copy your NPR system, But I am planing on adding a couple of filter socks on a new system that will have a 100gal Rubbermaid sump. My main concern is creating nitrates by using the filter socks, By using the floss & tossing it sounds like a good way to get rid of them!

BTW
Here's a denitrator made by Aquaripure that uses Vodka to help build bacteria to reduce nitrates! I haven’t really heard anything good or bad about them, But it sounds fairly simple! Just a little on the expensive side.
I usually do a 20% WC about every 10 days (the time my top-off system needs to be refilled) which seems to be more than enough to control my nitrates! Now if the Aquaripure really helped to reduce your WC needs then I would think it would pay for it self in the savings of salt!

fishcrazy

Yikes!!!

Those puppies aren't cheap are they?

I haven't heard about them one way nor the other. In theory, it seems that it would be more efficient than a sulpher-based denitrator but I don't know anything about this unit. Sorry.

ldrhawke

Over priced black box. There are more effective approaches to denitrification.But, unless you have a new tank,very little live rock,or too many fish in your tank; you should not need a separate dentrification system. The tank should balance itself out and have zero nitrates with time.

This German article is a good read and should give you some ideas for a better approach if you do want to build a separate denitrifier. http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.lars-sebralla.de/wodkafilter_bau01.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwww.lars-sebralla.de%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DG

Use Google Language tools if you don't read in German http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

Last edited: