Good powerhead for

20nano

What powerheads do you guys recommend for my return line from sump to my 72Gallon bowfront? I was thinking about Rio3100 but can you guys suggest otherwise?

DaveK

IMO, Rio pumps are of low quality and don't last long term. I wouldn't trust one as a main return pump.

If I was going to use an in the sump pump, I'd consider Eheim or Mag.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
  • Whats the Head-Height for your sump o tank?
  • How big is the Return Section of your sump? The stronger the pump the larger water volume this section will need to be in order to not "Run Dry".
  • What's the flow rate for your Over-Flow?

I used a Mag18 on my 90G. It worked flawlessly for 3 years for me.

Also you want to look for a "Return Pump" not a powerhead. Not being a knit-pick but there's a lot of difference between the two.

Good luck and Happy Reefing :)

20nano

i have 2 1 1/4 inch drain line from my main display tank and it drains into a 10 gallon tank section out for a protein skimmer and then i drilled a hole at the end and connect it to another 10 gallon, that empty 10 gallon has no section just the tank itself with water and that is where the return pump will be. With those 2 drain pipe at that size, i would think that it can handle a great flow rate. I am looking for something between 700-1000 whichever gives the best bang for my bucks.

DaveK

why are Rios so much more expensive compare to some other high quality brands?

What brands are you comparing?

For example a Rio 3100 would cost you about $76, compared to a Mag 9.5 at about $115, and an Eheim 1262 is about $187. All the pumps have similar specs.

I'd say Rio pumps are comparatively inexpensive. IMO, this is because they are of much lessor quality.

No doubt your thinking that I'm bashing Rio pumps, but I speak from personal experience.

At one time I was using 4 Rio pumps in various return pump applications, and several more in circulation applications on my two reef systems. Out of the box they ran great. I'd read other posts about pump failure issues with them and wondered what all the fuss was about. Then after a year or so, almost every one I owned failed. At I recall I replaces the first couple that failed. Once I saw where this was going, I gave up on them for return pumps, this is just too critical an area for a pump that might fail. As the remaining pumps failed in the water circulation application, I replaced them with other brands. I think I have one or two left that I use for mixing new SW.

20nano

i personally really like the Rios, i have a few in my 20 gallon right now. I was thinking of the Rio3100 and probably getting that. Just seeing if anyone else out there has had a bad experience on or or recommended something better at the same price.

DaveK

Not necessarily. Eheim pumps are excellent, but there are plenty of other good ones out there. Note that it's about double the price of a RIO. That s one thing Eheim is often criticised for. Excellent products, but very expensive. The things I like about Eheim are that they are rock solid, and you can obtain replacement parts for them.