GloFish®

GlassMunky

never. I've seen these in all my local petco and petsmarts for a while now.....and from what i understand, they are injecting some kind of chemical into the fish to make it "glow" under UV light. if this is true, i would never condone that practice and therefore not purchase these. PLEASE correct me if i have been misinformed

GlassMunky

just reaqd the info a little more and it seems they are puting a protein gene into these fish that they did not originally have. so, personally, i'm still not cool with it. Also, I'm wondering why these CANNOT be shipped to california???? seems fishy to me ;)

chipmunkofdoom2

just reaqd the info a little more and it seems they are puting a protein gene into these fish that they did not originally have. so, personally, i'm still not cool with it. Also, I'm wondering why these CANNOT be shipped to california???? seems fishy to me ;)

Because California banned them (along with fiscal responsibility and budgets) a while ago.

They were never originally intended for aquarium trade, from the sound of it.. they were created to have the colors react to pollutants for scientific research. As usually happens with most science and military tech made available to the public, consumers want and are willing to pay money, so companies make it available.

Also, from the reading I've done, they're doing nothing to the fish in their adult form.. they modify the embryos, before the 8 cell stage. No cutting/poking/injecting after the fish is hatched.

GrendelPrime

they have them in petco..to bad they cant inject something into the employees to make them actualy know what the hell there talking about :)

Shagon

The protien was injected long ago. Now they are bread that way. The protien that was used was from a I believe jellyfish or some other ocean invert.

QuentinB

The protien was injected long ago. Now they are bread that way. The protien that was used was from a I believe jellyfish or some other ocean invert.

Yeah, I looked into them(because I, too, don't condone "painting"), and apparently they can pass the coloring on genetically as well(now, after how many fishy slaughters). I would never buy them, I guess, anyway, but I'd rather see kids buying these than the painted or tattooed fish.

edit: maybe I misread, now that I see your post about the embryos. oh well, my stance remains.

Also, I agree with redneckgearhead, my grandpa's got some bass out in his pond that I'm sure would go nuts for one :D

And Chipmunk, I'm going to be buying a few more guppies here soon(my first acclimation attempt killed 3 of the 4, I rushed it...), let me know(PM) if you really want to see if they can be taken to saltwater. I'll try looking it up first, but I'll probably start Thursday or something. If my wife doesn't like a neon pink fishy, I've got 6 cichlids that might :p

PEMfish

The fish was originally a Zebra danio ( a fifty cent beginer fish ) and the above info is correct, there DNA was modified with that of a jellyfish.

XeniaLee

That was a good one!
I'm glad Shagon set everyone straight about the glofish. They are not painted or injected.

We sell these little fish at the LFS I work at. Usually people ask "whats up with those fish?" and as soon as I say "genetically modified" or anything along those lines, it either gets me a sale or it makes someone pretty offended/pissed. The worst is that people want to put them under black light, which can blind the fish.

Val

I have about a half a dozen of these in my 55gal fw tank. They do glow under moonlights and the grandkids really enjoy them.