GlennF's reefing heaven!

glennf

Development of the blue Montipora Digitata

Purchase date 12/2/2013 ( foto 21/2/2013)
Color is blue/white
14285056320_844dac430e_c.jpg

Different frag color is blue/mint
14468304741_3ca242a5a4_c.jpg

Photo 10/6/2013
14285055270_4329d1e0a7_c.jpg

Photo 17/6/2013
14470497874_a3dda04903_c.jpg

Photo 27/6/2013
14471670565_3806b307ae_c.jpg

Photo 27/6/2013 ) here you see the clear difference in color.
14448573686_fb849c07d4_c.jpg

greetings, GlennF

Mr.Reeefer

Hi Glenn,

I haven't commented much on your chronicle but I am always popping through and taking a peek.
I talk to people I meet about your tank, as it is IMO a masterpiece to look at but also in design and science.

I have a question though about your methods.

I know about your calculator and your additives, but what separates these from what is already on the market? As there are already solutions that we can buy to lower levels of ammonia, nitrate, phosphates etc, what makes your solutions different?

Generally there is a consensus amongst reefers that additives are really "not an option" since they will generally cause more problems than they fix in the long run, so what makes yours different?

I am very aware that you have been using your methods for quite some time now with success and that there are others around the world sharing your success also, and I'm not trying to put your method down, rather learn what you have done differently than other brands on the market. Since learning about your methods it has taunted me about additives, I now have a ?mark about additives, are they really that bad if you can have so much success with them?

Thanks In advance.

glennf

Hi Glenn,

I haven't commented much on your chronicle but I am always popping through and taking a peek.
I talk to people I meet about your tank, as it is IMO a masterpiece to look at but also in design and science.

I have a question though about your methods.

I know about your calculator and your additives, but what separates these from what is already on the market? As there are already solutions that we can buy to lower levels of ammonia, nitrate, phosphates etc, what makes your solutions different?

Generally there is a consensus amongst reefers that additives are really "not an option" since they will generally cause more problems than they fix in the long run, so what makes yours different?

I am very aware that you have been using your methods for quite some time now with success and that there are others around the world sharing your success also, and I'm not trying to put your method down, rather learn what you have done differently than other brands on the market. Since learning about your methods it has taunted me about additives, I now have a ?mark about additives, are they really that bad if you can have so much success with them?

Thanks In advance.

Thanks Mr Reefer.

The basis of my method is that it was designed for myself. Call me a cheap bastard, but I hate paying for products, which promises golden mountains and filling the bottles heavily dilluted with water.

Some bottles are nothing else than vinegar dilluted with nitrate and called bacteriafood and sold over 40 euro.

Anything related to the seawater hobby is sold with 10-20 time the price it should have cost.

The basic of my method is to go back to basics and ask myself: what if is mix my own seawater and only add what is needed. After all the synthetic salt used is being blend that way.
Bij researching and blending my own salt mix i learned a lot about the way things work.
The next step was easy. How to keep the parameter up to level. The stuff needed were already available and the same goes for the test kits.
It was measuring and adding.

So you see the method only uses stuff we can measure.

Some believe you need to add a great amount heavy metals blends into you tank to keep it alive and thriving, i don't.

Why blindly put all the potential toxic stuff into you tank, only then to remove it with the next water change to prevent it from heaping up?

The method was my stubborn way of coping with problems i encountered during my stubborn way of reefing.

People were curious how i manage to keep a reef for many year looking like what it look like now, with water nearly 10 year old.
So they aks questions and considered me and expert in my field.

After a while i got annoyed having to explain myself to often. I was acting as a parrot repeating myself over and over again.
That is when i started to write the calculator and put everything in writing , to make the result reproduceable for others.

There are some key elements in there which make my method new and different:
The main keys are:
- No water changes
- mixing own synthetic salt
- total control
- no blind dosing
- al dosing are calculated with support of the calculator.
- it is a complete guide for (starting) reefers
- it is a joint effort with the dutch reefing community. I get back valuable information which i discus with them.
- i might have forgotten something.....

The main thing is i love sharing and see people move forward. That's why a start sharing my method. I was ask for it , and looking back i see why. Many people who were not able to get control over their tank now have flourishing sps tank in their maiden year.

greetings, GlennF

Last edited:

Oxylebius

Yeah, the monties a super brittle. I have the same one in my tank, accidentally bump into it and you have more frags.....

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Very PRETTY... I see a frag selling business in your future :thumbup:
I would like to shop out of your frag tank :yehoo: too bad you live so very far far away.
(But I'm glad you share pictures on RS so I can see what you are growing!)

glennf

Very PRETTY... I see a frag selling business in your future :thumbup:
I would like to shop out of your frag tank :yehoo: too bad you live so very far far away.
(But I'm glad you share pictures on RS so I can see what you are growing!)

thanks, the corals are growing like weed here

glennf

i had this Naso Iteratus since okt2013.
it's doing fine and i feed him nori sheets and koi pellets

13011768293_b59f703e09_c.jpg

13011608835_f9eab48e8f_c.jpg

13011762263_b72cfde6dc_c.jpg

Mr.Reeefer

Thanks Mr Reefer.

The basis of my method is that it was designed for myself. Call me a cheap bastard, but I hate paying for products, which promises golden mountains and filling the bottles heavily dilluted with water.

Some bottles are nothing else than vinegar dilluted with nitrate and called bacteriafood and sold over 40 euro.

Anything related to the seawater hobby is sold with 10-20 time the price it should have cost.

The basic of my method is to go back to basics and ask myself: what if is mix my own seawater and only add what is needed. After all the synthetic salt used is being blend that way.
Bij researching and blending my own salt mix i learned a lot about the way things work.
The next step was easy. How to keep the parameter up to level. The stuff needed were already available and the same goes for the test kits.
It was measuring and adding.

So you see the method only uses stuff we can measure.

Some believe you need to add a great amount heavy metals blends into you tank to keep it alive and thriving, i don't.

Why blindly put all the potential toxic stuff into you tank, only then to remove it with the next water change to prevent it from heaping up?

The method was my stubborn way of coping with problems i encountered during my stubborn way of reefing.

People were curious how i manage to keep a reef for many year looking like what it look like now, with water nearly 10 year old.
So they aks questions and considered me and expert in my field.

After a while i got annoyed having to explain myself to often. I was acting as a parrot repeating myself over and over again.
That is when i started to write the calculator and put everything in writing , to make the result reproduceable for others.

There are some key elements in there which make my method new and different:
The main keys are:
- No water changes
- mixing own synthetic salt
- total control
- no blind dosing
- al dosing are calculated with support of the calculator.
- it is a complete guide for (starting) reefers
- it is a joint effort with the dutch reefing community. I get back valuable information which i discus with them.
- i might have forgotten something.....

The main thing is i love sharing and see people move forward. That's why a start sharing my method. I was ask for it , and looking back i see why. Many people who were not able to get control over their tank now have flourishing sps tank in their maiden year.

greetings, GlennF

Thank you for the response, you have converted me, now I just have allot of reading to do, this dosing isn't easy if your not properly informed.

I have been reading in depth about Vodka, sugar and vinegar, to reduce nitrate and phosphates, and other reading you would recommend?

Thanks

glennf

My oxymoncanthus Longistris
i have him since 2013

picks on sps polyps, that's why i have none at daytime....
for such a beauty i am willing to pay the price.

13011970384_bf04c5b4c7_c.jpg

ReefRage

Wow just AMAZING!! I'm just starting out my tank, and I hope that mine will look as amazing as yours. Thanks for sharing. :geekin: