Meiacanthus atrodorsalis
purchased 18/2/2013

13011737013_6308322f22_c.jpg

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hey Glenn,
Not sure if you already commented on this at all but I read that you use T5 lighting. Interested to get your thoughts on why T5 and not metal halide or the new Led craze?

Thanks!

glennf

ctenocheatus Tomini

fish with an attitude, just like any from the ctenecheatus family a great asset to the tank as a cleaner of the LR.

13011569635_1f50e4d070_c.jpg

glennf

Hey Glenn,
Not sure if you already commented on this at all but I read that you use T5 lighting. Interested to get your thoughts on why T5 and not metal halide or the new Led craze?

Thanks!

- T5 has proven to be the best lighting til now (near full spectrum and a safe choice)
- Halides add a special effect to the tank , but always combined with T5 (also safe with when taken special care when replacing bulbs)
- Led is just as you stated a hype, it has not proven itself in long term yet.
i have seen many ooohs.... and aaahs.... on many tanks over the years since the first introduction of led.
over and over the discussion was: it saves energy, it last longer and you don't need the extra spectrum they omit to save energy.
only to see after a while the coral population degrade and the color and growth disappear. Than they developed a new version, with new spectrum to start the show all over again.
unless i can see a fully occupied mixed tank running with full color and growth for more than one year i am not convinced.

low nutrient systems with stylo's, montiporas, hystrix, and blue acro's run fine with led lighting.
it's even possible to run higher on nutrient and keep the color translucent with led lighting.
also most soft corals do fine with led.

with a frag tank experiment i did on basic white/blue led lighting many acropora's species stop growing, lose color or get STN to turn into RTN at the last fase.

placing a new led fixture over an existing tank is misleading and can make the tank look super !!!!!!
i have no doubt about that, because you can manipulate any color you like to make the tank explode with the color pallet that suites your eyes.
it can even make the tank and coral look nicer a few months, but i have seen the long term effect on several tanks 6mths +

a few people have succes with led, but i see the mayority with a nice population go down the hill and grab back to the ole shool lighting.

i do believe one fixture can make a difference "the hybrid". Ati had a hybrid that looks very promissing.

glennf

Macropharyngodon Ornatus (purchased 15/2/2013)
after introduction i lost him for 3 weeks and i have already given up on him, only to see it turn up one day at daylight
it has grown to nearly full size now.

recently i bought a cute little "leopard wrasse" , which turned out to be the same thing.
i was surprised they got along just fine.

13011724213_d29bb9e25d_c.jpg

greetings, GlennF

glennf

acanthurus Tennenti, lieutenant tang, Vampire tang (introductie okt2013)

A fish with a character

13011720533_e1a37426c3_c.jpg

13011947364_ea91608814_c.jpg

greetings, GlennF

glennf

Tubinaria Reniformis - yellow/brown + Zoanthus sp. 36

13011710543_f000d7b69b_c.jpg

+ blue discusomas + Echinometra sp. (urchin)
13011708263_2f0034700d_c.jpg

Gallma02

Truly stunning looking tank. :winner:

You must spend ages on maintenance each week as it looks like each coral is given special attention.

glennf

Truly stunning looking tank. :winner:

You must spend ages on maintenance each week as it looks like each coral is given special attention.

Thanks !

Not at all.
i have managed to keep maintenance to a minimum level.
-Juist daily 2× feeding
- every other day cleaning the display
- once a week kh,ca, po4 measurement and corrections 20 minutes
- once every 3-4 weeks (never all at the same time) some other tests (7). Average time doing all test at once is 1 hour.
- Once a week emptying the skimmer cup. Once in 8 weeks cleaning the skimmer

Nothing special you see.:)

greetings, GlennF