Giant polyp, any idea of name?

Rue

I don't think these are anything rare or special, but I can't for the life of me find a photo or name for them. I just love the shape. I've been staring at them for a month at the LFS, and finally caved today and bought them...

They look like huge paly/zoanthids but rather than tentacles, the edges of the polyp head turn inwards a bit so it looks like a cup or chalice.

I'll try and get some photos tomorrow.

Any ideas? They're very distinct.

They're just a regular reddish-tinged polyp with a greeny face...

Rue

I know it's next to impossible without a photo...

I looked up Palythoa grandis, and I'm not sure if that's it...the edges are different...

...so I went and took a photo now, instead of waiting until tomorrow...lol...too impatient...:jester:

GiantPalys0209B.jpg

Rue

Sorry...just my point and shoot...and I cropped it, so it's a bit blurry...but still clear enough I think...

yungreefer2410

looks like my nuclear greens when there feeding. try squirting some food at it and see if any frill like things come out. i would say its a normal paly

MatthewJ

Rue, just got some live rock that came with polyps that look very much like those! Mine perked up quite a bit and even got nice bright green centers. The hermit has annoyed them here, but generally they look nice. I don't feed them. I don't think the rolled-in edges are normal. Mine were like that for a week or more before opening up like the ones in the center in this pic. I could certainly be wrong though:)

mysteryPolyps.png

mysteryPolyps.png

Rue

Sorry Matt, your photo isn't showing.

They've been like that in the LFS for a month, with the rolled edges, so I assumed that was normal.

I'll see if they want to eat tomorrow...

They're HUGE though...

seafansar

They look like the palys I got from the Keys. They'll turn a little more green, but nothing close to nuclear greens unfortunately. They are tough as nails though.

MatthewJ

If they're anything like the ones in the pic, +1 for being tough as nails. The rock I bought was out of the water for over an hour. I didn't see them until I put the rock in, and they were all rolled up. I figured they were goners...but they came back and are quite pretty with the green centers. Not like the fancy zoas, but still a nice lime green center.

Here's a better pic:
DSCF2110.JPG

Rue

Now I can see your photo! Yes, mine look like yours, but mine are 100X bigger...(well, maybe only 50X...lol)

Glad to hear they're tough!

MatthewJ

size doesn't matter! LOL. mine are smaller, may not be the same thing. however, they are growing fast. I can't tell for sure because mine are in a crevice, but yours might have taller stalks too (proportionally).