GFI tripping

btk8

I'm having troubles with my GFCI tripping for no reason. Some times it will trip when I switch off the power strip that my T5s are plug into. Sometimes late in the day I will hear a clicking sound coming from the GFCI recepticle. Kind like it wants to trip. I have read that some people say GFIs can be touchy. Anybody have any remedies besides getting rid of my GFI?
Brian

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hmmmm just to be safe I'd probably call an electrician to come look things over. It's probably a DIY type of thing but since you're asking this question I'll assume you're like me and electricity isn't "Your Thang".

I'd play it safe and call a Pro :)

btk8

The GFI recepticle is new and its a dedicated circuit for this aquarium. The GFI can be reset with no problem, which leads me to believe there is no fault but the problem has to do with very high resistance and/ or surges. At work we use a heat gun sometimes and have found we can only use it on low or it will trip the GFI. Also the longer the heat gun is used the more likely it will trip the GFI. Heat gun(hair dryer) is basically just a resistance coil. Most my problems with tripping my GFI happen later in the day. Later in the day there is a lot of heat built up in the lighting fixture. High heat can increase the resistance of circuits. The 2 ballasts for the 4 T5 lights are in the light fixture and probably get really hot by the end of the day.
Let me give you a little more information. the light fixture is a Hamilton 4ft fixture with 2 250MH with 2 remote electronic ballasts, 4 55watt T5 lights on 2 ballast located in the fixture, it has 2 led moon lights, and 2 fans.
So I have a 2 plug GFI recepticle to try and run my aquarium on. Because of this I must use 3 power strips(possible problem right here). One runs all the pumps, heater, fans(for the light fixture), and LEDs. So that leaves one open plug on the GFI recepticle and two sets of lights that need to be run on different timers(I would like them to be on different timers). So I tried plugging one power strip into the wall on a timer and plugged the other power strip into the pump power strip on a timer. This didn't work. It usually makes the GFI trip after about 30 mins of all the lights running. This is just to much for the GFI. So I took the power strip that controls the MHs and plugged that into another outlet. This sucks because now I have lost the protection of the GFI. And it still doesn't completely solve the problem. Now late in the day the GFI recepticle will sometimes start clicking, like it wants to trip but doesn't quite make it. Very distressing noise. Then when the T5 cut off at the end of the day they trip the GFI. The GFI can be reset and the T5s restarted but turn them off again and they trip the GFI.
I think my first problem is I'm trying to run too much off my one GFI. I also wondering if there is a problem with my T5s or the power strip they are connected to. I believe some power strips will send power surges and noise(electrical noise filter) to the ground, which will cause the GFI to trip. So I'm not quite sure what needs to be done. I'll call my light manufacture and see if they have any sugguestions. They do say there lights must be ran on a GFI. I suppose I could also buy a GFI power strip to expand the number of GFI recepticles. I would also like to get a controller like the Neptune aqua jr. Which could allow me to start each light individually thus reducing large surges. But I'm not sure what the cause off my problem or problems are. So here I am searching for more information and other peoples experience with this issue.
Thanks for your replys.
Brian

BobBursek

I know this is not much help but it sounds like you need more GFI circiuts and then just try the process of elimanation by moving your power sources around and see if anything changes or yu see a trend. Good luck!!!!

tektite

I heard when I got my t5 light that it shouldn't be plugged into a GFI because it would cause it to trip frequently. Perhaps that's whats happening?

bwhit1406

Still think you should try changing the GFI . They are not that expensive and you would know for sure if it is the problem. They make GFI tester (good ones that let you test at what level they trip) but they cost more than a new GFI. What I did was wire up a power strip with 4 GFI's that plugs into your regular receptacle. That way if something does trip your circuit you are only going to lose that GFI and not shut your whole tank down.

BobBursek

I had a house where I had my tank and either the MH or the Actinics would trip a new GFI, I can not remember which, changed it and still would trip. When I moved no longer had the problem, never figured out why, maybe an actinic was not plugged into the pins all the way.

btk8

The circuit and the GFI are rated at 20amps. Which gives me a good margin.
I tried running everything on a 15amp non-gfi circuit and I had no problems. I talked to Hamilton Technology the light manufacture and they said some gfi are to sensitive so they are going to send me one of the GFI power strips that they use for free. Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully this GFI strip will work.
Brian

Goober35

btk8 i think you anwnered your own question. The more heat the more resistance. There for a 20amp gfi that has heated up may only be only running %50. I would add a secound gfi on a diffrent breaker.

DaveK

Personally, I have noticed that electronic ballasts on T5 and MH lighting do seem to trip GFI a lot more than more conventional ballasts. I suspect this is because of the way they work internally.

So I would start there. Place your lighting on a different circuit, and see if the GFI still trips. If it does, inspect all your equipment, looking for possible problems. Cords for any power heads or heaters that are submersed in SW tend to get brittle and crack over time.

As pointed out by others, you may have to swap plugs on and off the GFI circuit to determine the problem device.

As pointed out, it could also be the GFI itself. You can also try replacing that to see if the problem goes away. If you find out that it is not the GFI, well, now you have a spare.