gettting started

jglas26

Hello everyone. I'm getting ready to start a nano after Christmas. I've had a FOWLER up and running since last February and have had overall success. I understand the Nitogen cycle, parameter maintenence, etc and all the basics but I had a couple questions about equipment..........

The reason that I'm starting the nano is because I have to downgrade due to rising tuition and other expenses.......:dunno:

with that in mind, I'm going to try to get this thing "up and running" with as much equipment that I've already acquired as i can.

my 1st question.........everyone emphasises GOOD FLOW in their reefs. Well, I already have about 25lbs LR and 40lbs LS going into the tank ( or what will fit ) so I'm trying to save as much space for livestock and corals as possible!
(probably 10lbs of each...approx)

To do so, is is possible that I can use a " plain ol' " Marineland HOB filter for my flow? I understand how they can be Nitrate/phosphorus factories THEREFORE, if I was to use this piece of equipment it would be run without any filter media----strictly for FLOW....its rated 200gph and the rule of thumb is 7 - 10x gph exchange, correct? well above this suggestion.

To ensure the flow, I was thinking that I would extend the "intake tube" so it reaches to the bottom - right above the sand.

It would be securely tucked behing the LR so nothing can get "caught" in it.

pulls from the bottom, refills out the top.....what do you think?

Oh yeah! I'm gooing to use a "standard" 10gallon

I'm also thinking that the empty filter box will give me a place to stash my heater and thermometer, saving even more space.
I've used this tehnique breifly once before while I was waiting on my skimmer and it worked pretty decent but it was a fish only system.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The reason that I'm starting the nano is because I have to downgrade due to rising tuition and other expenses.......:dunno:
One point that could help is to check Craiglist and eBay for quality "discounted" items

To do so, is is possible that I can use a " plain ol' " Marineland HOB filter for my flow? I understand how they can be Nitrate/phosphorus factories THEREFORE, if I was to use this piece of equipment it would be run without any filter media----strictly for FLOW....its rated 200gph and the rule of thumb is 7 - 10x gph exchange, correct? well above this suggestion.

I don't think this would do much for your over-all flow. I'd opt for maybe a Koralia Nano to add more in-tank flow. They are very inexpensive and I have 2 Nanos and 1 #1 in my 10g tank. LOVE them!!