Getting rid of sponges

Cal Native

I had (not sure if I killed them yet) white sponges that were growing over my zoas and choking them out. So I took out the rock and scrubbed away as most of the sponge as I could them dripped iodine on the area. So far everything else in the tank seems quite happy, question is Is the sponge gone? What do you think?

framerguy

sponges will die if they hit oxegen
That's mostly true but not 100%. (I just read about them and it's still fresh in my head ) However, I agree they are probably gone if you had them out long enough to scrub them.

bluespotjawfish

I've scrubbed mine, sat them out to air out, ran them under tap water and they still find a way to survive! Some are tougher than others, but overall me hates sponges. :flaming:

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
i had a sponge kill an entire colony of blue snowflake polyps....and they were making a frag of zoas "move" i gently scraped it off(outside the tank, in a bowl) with an exacto knife.

DrHank

I would say that white sponge is not at all dependent on sunlight ant therefore survives by filter feeding alone. Just considering that, I would say that it's a survivor. My guess would be that it would be one of the most difficult to totally eliminate. I'm getting ready to find out for myself on one of my rocks.

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
i would, but i dont have them anymore, i had some good ones of the sponge taking over my blues