Getting ready to install Steve's LEDs

Dking271

I'm finally going to have some time to install Steve's LEDs into my 130d, and I am nervous about the whole process. I have the 95% complete kit, Typhoon controller, and timer/moonlight option. I am pretty good with this kind of stuff, but all of the instructions I have read are not very good. I am guessing that I do not need the dimmer knobs with the Typhoon, is that correct? Any good sources for a project box for the Typhoon? I have heard rumors that Steve's is supposed to have some boxes available soon, has anyone heard an eta? I hope this goes well!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
the maker of the "Project Boxes" just sent a shipment (or is about to send) to StevesLES!

I kept the dimmer knobs so that I could fine tune the colors of the system to my personal liking. It's also nice being able to turn them down to MIN if I am working in the tank.

Nurse Brian

Good luck! I am boxing mine up and sending the hood to them tomorrow. For an extra 110 they are actually going to install everything, everything for me. I'll only have to plug it in. This is a good thing because i probably would have killed myself. Post pictures of the project as your doing it!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'll be in the process of installing my 95% complete kit this next week also. Kinda nervous & hoping I get it done without issues. Staying tuned in here for installing updates. I'm NOT a DIY person....Here's big hopes that this is going to be easier than I'm thinking right now. Have not even opened my postal box yet.

Dking271

Ok, I am going to work on the lights tomorrow morning. The only thing that I am somewhat confused about is connecting the the Typhoon controller. Is this why the cat5 wire is needed? Can someone please elaborate on how to connect this into the system? I am planning on keeping the dimmer knobs.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I connected Steve's LEDs on a RSM 250. Since it is probably very similar, here is how I did it (The Cat5 is for connecting the Typhoon).

step 1.) remove jumper wire from ports 2 and 4 of driver.
step 2.) run a wire from the typhons red wire to port 2.
step 3.) remove the wired from port 1 and wire a wire from black wire from typon to port 1 and connect wires that were in port 1 to wire and then proceed by placing all the wires into port 1.
then your done, program and have fun. Also make sure the wires that come with the typhon are plugged into the 5v slot and not the 10v slot.

Dking271

I think I get the Typhoon...

I connect port 2 to red to channel 1 positive pin (5v), and port 4 to black to channel 1 negative pin. Here is the question, it looks like in the Steve's download for using the dimmer knobs, it recommends connecting both drivers to one channel, is that the best way? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to running on two channels?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hopefully someone that has installed the Typhoon on a RSM130 can help. I hate to give any more advice on this since my install was on a 250 and it might be different.

Dking271

Install is complete, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I took my time and tried to keep everything clean and tidy. I had more trouble getting the plugs out to remove the screws than any other part of the project. I have many pictures and will post as time permits.

Dking271

Here are some pics...

LEDsold_zps5816a380.jpg

undertimer_zpsbc4631b7.jpg

driverdone_zps44f05431.jpg

driverclose_zps5e2d1c5b.jpg

moonlighttest_zps00f5b1f3.jpg

LEDstest_zps10f54cd2.jpg

typhoontest_zps93f1f012.jpg

typhoon_zpscc42ea92.jpg

Very nice looking tank!!! I am sure the phone pic doesn't do justice to the real colors. I really like your rockscape and your coral positioning. Look forward to seeing more.