getting pods from fuge to DT...sugg?

reefer4200

Any suggestions on how i can capture the pods that are in my refugium and get them into my display without the chaeto/caulp.?? thanks

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Most expect them to reach the tank via the return pump. However, that's a good question. How do they get them in those little bottles you buy at the LFS and in such clean, clear water?

reefer4200

well thats just my problem...i have filter socks coming from the fuge to sump the to tank so they have ZERO chance to even attempt to get up there.

I pulled out my caulp. tonight and shook as many off as possible but i didnt have much success. I have thousands down there and i captured maybe 50. lol plus the water left over was filled with scrap algaes which i cant add to display...hmmmmm

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I got a "Crystal Palace" (Glass Reef Ball) from BigJay and I put some Chaeto in it and left it in the Fuge for a week or so. Then put it into the DT and it was amazing how many were "Residing" in there. You could also drain your filter socks back into the DT when it's time to change them out. I do this with ANYTHING from the DT before tossing them out or cleaning them. I put Egg-Crate over the top and lay Chaeto or anything else on it and an hour or so later it's done dripping. While it's dripping I watch as the tank it "Treated" to a bunch of goodies :)

reefer4200

i was awaiting you BigAl. Genius idea with the egg crates!! I never drained my socks because i take my dirties to my lfs and get cleans. Its a service he provides for those who get tanks from him. I love it. regardless, im going to have to do the drip method asap and im sending BigJay a message.

thanks

Varga

I would just grab a chunk of Chaeto and shake it around in the DT :)
or stick a turkey baster in the fuge and suck them up.

reefer4200

i was gonna just shake it in the DT but i dont wanna risk bringing algae in it. Im going to try the turkey baster...good idea!!

BigJay

why I'd love to sell you a reef ball, if money doesn't permit try this. Buy some of the dark blue filter material. The name is escaping me at the moment but its very cheap. Cut it into 2" x 2" squares and put it in your fuge. The pods will migrate too it thinking its cover. Then take and shake them out in the display. If you pound the fuge with tons of light it may force them into the filter material faster.

reefer4200

What is a reef ball? Is that what BigAl was referring to? And also i have plenty of light on the refugium...ill try the blue sponge in the mean time.

BigJay

Reef ball, Chaeto ball, Pod hotel.. whatever you want to call them on a given day. :) . They can be seen in my pyrex thread and yeah thats what BigAl was referring too.
I originally designed it for my own tank. I wanted Chaeto in my biocube 14 but had no where to put it. And the pod hotel was born. Lots of ways to skin that cat, but nothing compares with pyrex. But basically a small ball of chaeto placed inside in the DT can look like a pod disco within 24-48 hours with all the little critters calling around in it.
I liken it to a ghost knife fish in a clear tube. For some reason it doesn't matter that its clear they feel safe. Eventually though they wander out and will either take up home in your rocks or get eaten.
Some people have used them like Al said just between the fuge and the display as an easy way to move a couple 1000 pods at a time without having to shake them out. Btw I dont' recomend trying to suck them up with a baster or even my pyrex droppers. Its an excercise in futitility. I used to empty my reef socks into a 5g tupperware and spend 3 hours trying to get all the pods out I can. Then I realized a live rock , one of my chaeto balls or a piece of sponge worked to get about 50% of them out. Considering the ones that are too small to see your getting plenty. You really need a clear dropper to appreciate the 1000's that are there in the filter socks.