Get Rsm Tomorrow

alirons

Well i have had a 24 aqua pod with 150 mh for two years.I have wanted RSM since i saw my first one.I like the fact that it is bigger and i like the whole look of it.I came across one that is 5 months old and got it for $350.I go pick it up tomorrow.It has 3-4 in of LS already in it.Should i just use the sand in it or should i put my LS out of my aqua pod in it?I have 45-50 lbs of LR in my aquapod.I am puting that in RSM.I have been reading all your threads and everyone seems realy happy with the RSM.I do not think i will miss the MH in the aquapod.Everyone seems to be happy with stock lights.I could always upgrade later if i want.I have never ran a skimmer before,so i will learn as i go.I hope to get it running tomorrow.Should i wait on putting fish in or should i be fine.I was going to put LR in and keep aquapod running till next day and then put fish in.I have 2 clown,1 fire shrimp,pistol shrimp with goby,2 cleaner shrimp,2 peppermint shrimp,3 big turbo snails and a few hermits.I am using destilled water.Any help and suggestions would be very appreciated.I value your knowledge and any help i can get is welcome.

THX AL

marine281

Hi Al, and welcome.

I upgraded my 2ft nano to the rsm, I used new substrate, the transfered all the LR and filtration over to the rsm, let everything settle for about 12 hrs, then moved corals & fish over. Everbody survived & are all still happy now :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Al and Welcome to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM group!

Congratulations on the great deal on the RSM! On the sand I'm not sure what to tell you. Is the sand currently in the tank really alive or has it been allowed to die off? In any case you might want to wait till you get it set up and running a day or two to see if you get a new cycle caused by the old sand and sediment being stirred up in the move. Track the ammonia and nitrites for a few days before putting the fish and other livestock in from the Aquapod. Anyway, those are just my thoughts on it. Good luck & we'll be looking forward to a new tank thread to follow! :)

Terry

alirons

Well i got my RSM and all set up.One of the bulbs are out.Where is the best place to get replacements at?I noticed there is a blue and white together in each bulb.Are all four lights suppose to be on at same time?The tank is only 5 months old.He gave me led lights and two fans that are not hooked up yet.Is that normal to have to install them yourself?I will try to post some pics soon.I have somewhere around 60 lbs LR and 40 lbs agranite.I do not have skimmer running and put bag of chemi pure in back.I am going to keep eye on temp and see if i need fans running.The guy i got it from said he did not run skimmer and he did not have fans hooked up.He got it new and had it 5 months.I will keep everyone up to date. THX AL

dmyers557

Wow, thats crazy. Good deal, but it takes alot of work to get the 2 fans out and the leds. I know this because I have just replaced my timer. I would switch the working bulbs to the non-working side to make sure it is actually the bulbs and not the actual hood wiring. Can't wait to see your tank pics and welcome!!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
alirons - the bulbs can be obtained from Red Sea, or try a search on "red sea max parts". There were a few US vendors that had them in stock as of last week. The 2 fans are most likely hood fan replacements - if the fans are really noisy when the lights are on, they may need to be replaced. I'd be sure that the bulbs are plugged in all the way first - they may have gotten dislodged when the tank was taken down. Better to do this with the hood off, or at least unplugged, for safety reasons. Good luck with the tank and let us know how it goes.

alirons

Got the other bulb working.The fans and the led lights need to be replaced.I talked to the guy i got it from and he never got to replacing them.Thanks for the help.

AL

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
alirons - Are the fans especially noisy? Probably not at 5 months, but that's the only thing that might need replacing. It sounds like you have 2 new fans so that's good.

alirons

The fans and led lights were not working.He called red sea and they sent him new ones.He gave them too me when i bought it sunday.I just replaced them both and all works good.It took about 1 hour and went smooth.I have the heater off and it seems to be staying around 78.I am not running skimmer and no LRR in back.I have 60 - 70 lbs of LR.I am leaving skimmer in the back and chemi pure and foam on top of motor.The skimmer seems to funnel the water flow real good through foam.All the LR was fully cured and had all kinds of life growing all over it.All sorts of things i have never seen before.I put my 2 clowns in the rsm.I was told not to put anything in for 6 weeks.I have my 24 aquapod still running with other livestock in it.Should it still take that long for cycle.I did put 40 lbs of new agranite and 30 gallons of saltwater out of suppliers big LR pools.She told me to do nothing buy top offs.I was thinking i should dose with two part,but she said not to.she said do water change in 6 weeks and that is it.What do you all think?Any help would be welcome.

Thanks AL

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
alirons - 6 week water changes seems like a long time to me. I try to do a water change of about 10% (3-4 gallons) once a week, or at least every 2 weeks. Keep tracking the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates for a while to be sure the cycle is under control. Keep an eye on the water level in back too - the Chemi-Pure on top of the skimmer motor can compact after a while, cut the flow, starve the pumps and cause a lot of microbubbles. If that happens put the Chemi-Pure in the last chamber under the 2 pumps - as it only needs to be changed after 3-6 months it's not as bad as media that needs to be changed more often. As always these are just my opinions. :)

alirons

If i can ever get my pics from photobucket to send here,i will post them.This is much harder then it should be.I spent a hour downloading them and now i can not get them to send here.I must be doing something wronge.I tried to send from my pc,but was to big.I could not get them smaller ,so i went to photobucket.Any advice would be welcome.Thanks AL

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
alirons - on the Photobucket, go to post #57 on this page of redseareef's tank thread - maybe the instructions I posted in there will help:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...b/38998-its-here-its-here-finally-here-2.html

The appearance of Photobucket changes often, but hopefully those instructions will help you understand it better. Once you get used to it it's easy. No problem if you mess up a post or two till you figure it out - we've all done that. Practice makes perfect. :)

alirons

P2050246.jpg
htt
P2050239.jpg
]p://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt139/alirons/P2050244.jpg[/IMG]
P2050250.jpg
P2050231.jpg
P2050227.jpg

I am trying too post some pics of my tank i got last sunday.This is the LR i bought sunday also.Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Wow - that rock is loaded with life! In the top right picture that might be a red tunicate under that green algae. Nice red macro algae in the bottom left picture. No idea what that yellow clump is - it looks like it might be a coral of some type as it appears to have some polyps extended on it. There are a few things on there that I'm totally clueless on. Maybe some orange sponges?

The next time you post, hit enter after you paste in the code, to put each image on a new line - then they'll all end up in a row, top to bottom, rather than across. Good to see you're getting used to using Photobucket.

Where did you get the rock from - is it all from your other tank? Amazing how many life forms are on it.

Here's your "missing" picture, if I can do this right:

P2050244.jpg

There you go! :)

alirons

Thanks Reefmac for the help.I am going to put all my photos in gallery.There is 50 of them i took yesterday.All my rock from other tank i used as the base.I got 27 lbs of LR sunday after i picked up tank.It was $9 a lb,but i think well worth it for all the life.I am going to try to figure out how to put all photos in gallery so people can check them out.Do you think i should start doseing b ionic now or wait a few weeks.I do not know how much of a cycle i will have.The woman told me to do nothing but top off for 6 weeks.That seems a bit long to me,but i do not know.Thanks AL