G!N+T0N!k's 75g wave front 25g s/r chronicle

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
sasquatch - thanks for clearing up the pump confusion.

I looked at the specs for the mag18 and with about 5ft head 1200gph! My overflow is rated at 800 gph. Even with the mag12 it will be 1120 with a 5ft head. I was told it will keep my main tanks water level topped out.

certainti420 - ya its' a PetSmart special. Well ...er more like discount. I been waiting for the price to drop and it did. But if I would have waited till now I could have saved another $100. DOH!

1.5" Drains handle 1800GPH it appears you lost a 1. The I would even go largerlike a MAG24 this will help a lot in your situation or you sump will overflow from the drain

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
in that case you Drain rate is only 600 GPH opening below the bulkhead doesnt increase the flow it just makes less noise because air is allowed to pass instead of gulping

G!N+T0N!K

everything has been flowing fine for 15hrs and the levels in both tanks are consistent. My only issue now is the cloudiness from killing the live sand. Should I do a water change or wait it out? And my other question about when to move my old live rock and sand from my 2 yr old 20g tank into the refugium

in that case you Drain rate is only 600 GPH opening below the bulkhead doesnt increase the flow it just makes less noise because air is allowed to pass instead of gulping

Are you sure about 600gph? My overflow is rated at 800gph. I knew the 1.5" line wasn't going to increase the flow because of the bottle neck at the 1" bulkhead. So you are saying that it would be even noisier if I had a 1" line?

Btw even though the tank is all cloudy and theres no fish in it, I still find my self staring at it because im so amazed at all the work I put into it so far ant to see it working.

Last edited:

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
I am for certian 1" = 600GPH gravity feed only allows for this. Now a closed loop with a 1" drain can be whatever the pumps capacity is less head space

G!N+T0N!K

Did I kill my live sand by adding it to fresh water? And what should I do? Can I reseed it by adding live sand from my 2yr old tank? If so how much? Does anyone know? :drown:

G!N+T0N!K

thanks tbittner
ok then I guess the sand is fine? I will wait till it clears to add live rock. I think it may take a week it is very cloudy.:time: I have the pumps on but I had to turn off the skimmer because it wanted to skim all the water.:apint:

G!N+T0N!K

Ah it's almost cleared up. I found out that my return line was creating most of the cloudiness. It was pointing straight down. I didn't think it was powerful enough to reach the bottom and stir up the sand. I put a 1" to 3/4" elbow on the return to route it horizontal and now it is clearing up fast.

Tomorrow after work I will pick up 150lbs of live rock that has been curing. Then the cycle will start yay. :whstlr:

Very good news. Pretty soon all the hard work will pay off. Be sure to post pics of your aquascaping. I am very interested in seeing how you will do it. I love the wave fronts and I think that will be my next tank upgrade.

If I may leave a suggestion, I would make one BIG mountian on the wide side and gradually slope down towards the more narrow end. Stopping several inches from the side of the tank. Where you can put smaller rubble pieces randomly in the sand. I think that would give you a very natural reef look.

Good Luck and Happy Reefing

G!N+T0N!K

aquascaping .., Thanks certainti420, I just read this after I aquascaped but it matches closely what you described hahaha. weird! accept my rubble I put in the refugium.

I made it more cloudy when moving things and pushing sand around.
my two boobie mounds!
210715929733.jpg

210715908229.jpg

I finally realized I can have a photo gallery here on RS. Enjoy!

G!N+T0N!K

thx ratpack, I cant wait also, like others have said it's like waiting for xmas. I also cant wait till my lights arrive i got a T5 8x54w woohoo then it will look like xmas in my dining room. now I will actually want to eat at the table (bachelor)

tbittner

:lol:

Yeah, but can it teach you table manners? Doubtful.... You'll be drooling the entire time watching your tank. :D

Great job with the aquascaping! Lots of caves for the fish. :thumbup:

71 might be a little low you might want to adjust you heater a bit (correct me if I am wrong please) but I would go for around 75-80F.:snow:

BTW: Great job on the scaping, this is going to be fun

Ratpack

I agree, raise the temp up. I keep my reef between 80-82 degrees. I prefer 80, but with the nice warm SC weather, it is hard to keep it that low in the warm months without a chiller.

G!N+T0N!K

I didn't put the heater in initially because the weather was getting hot here and the temp before the live rock was introduced was between 75-80f. This week is the opposite and I had my furnace turned down expecting warm weather. Dam micro climates. Since it's Friday, I can put it in after work and monitor it more closely over the weekend.

btw - one of my live rocks has a blueish mushroom hitchhiker on it! Hope it survives. The lfs said since the rock has been curing for 8-9wks it should have a small spike and the shroom should make it if it made it from fiji.