G!N+T0N!k's 75g wave front 25g s/r chronicle

lcstorc

Sorry to hear.
That is my very worst fear. Every morning when I wake up I swear I here a noise and think it is the tank.

BigJay

when you understand the properties of glass its actually very easy for something like that to happen. Even a hairline scratch can cause a total failure. It has to do with how the glass is tempered or annealed after its made. Tempered glass is done by a process of rapidly heating an cooling the glass. Doing so can cause a rubber band like effect to be stored into the glass. One small scratch can cause a shock wave to travel through the glass basically causing it to explode.
heres an example YouTube - Prince Rupert's Drop .
Sorry about your tank. Hope your insurance company doesn't give you too much of a run around and you get back on track quickly!

chrome91

Sorry to hear.
That is my very worst fear. Every morning when I wake up I swear I here a noise and think it is the tank.

same, in the middle of the night if i hear a bang i tell myself its a car or something, not a tank bursting. after i think of water on the floor, fish allover, live rock allover, and $5000 wasted, i always end up running down to the basement to find everything alright:dryer:

chrome91

i know that guy, hes on another forum im on. hes been MIA for a year but when f1oored made that vid everyone was watching with anticipation to see what would happen. problem is tempered glass needs a direct blow to shatter. my standard 55g is tempered and a 20lb piece of rock fell when i was working on the tank, and it hit the front glass. i almost crapped myself

Varga

Man I cant believe this happened to you......
I would not get insurance company involved, if you do, when you sell, the buyer will know about this and now wants to bring an inspector just for that. I'd just let it dry out and slap some paint on.

G!N+T0N!K

Insurance company had a crew come in and riped up my basement carpet padding and cut about a foot tall hole at the base of each wall that was below my living room and dining room, and placed dehumidifiers and fans.

nikkipigtails

That's awesome. The first thing we did was check to see if our homeowner's insurance policy covered any kind of tank disaster. Luckily, it treats the tanks as if they were appliances so it pays for any kind of damage caused by a malfunction.

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
Wow, Im sorry that this had to happen. I think I would have just cried right there in the room, and then probably broke something else....oh man that really sucks.....was the tank still under warranty?

G!N+T0N!K

Tru2nr - I don't know about the livestock coverage. 2 fish and 3 shrimp died but the rest survived. I'm more worried about my house.:confused:

tippMANn98 - I knew immediately that I needed help to clean it up so I called some friends that live near by and we got half of the mess cleaned up quickly. It took 9hrs though.

Note to self: Get acrylic next time and put it in basement near drain.:poke:

The insurance company is going to investigate what was at fault so if it was a faulty tank they will go after the company for damages. If not then I'm sure they will try to weasel out of anything they can get away with.:jabber:

G!N+T0N!K

it's a AGA 75g from petsmart - they don't seem to have it on their website.

Furnace guy came and serviced it and checked for sand/water in vents. He fixed my water heater. The previous crew put a industrial fan pointed right at the base of my water heater and it blew out my pilot light. Morning cold showers suck! Then I could not get it re-lit. I guess he had to replace the whole gas junction/pilot light because it was left hand threads and he only deals with right hand threaded pilots. At least it is working now. The hard wood floors are still wet and they are just going to tear them up and replace them.

I know this has nothing to do with fish so I probably wont be on this site much if at all. I have a empty feeling every time I come here now.

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
Never seen one that size before.....i thought they were 92 or 95gallons only in the waves.

nikkipigtails

it's a AGA 75g from petsmart - they don't seem to have it on their website.

Furnace guy came and serviced it and checked for sand/water in vents. He fixed my water heater. The previous crew put a industrial fan pointed right at the base of my water heater and it blew out my pilot light. Morning cold showers suck! Then I could not get it re-lit. I guess he had to replace the whole gas junction/pilot light because it was left hand threads and he only deals with right hand threaded pilots. At least it is working now. The hard wood floors are still wet and they are just going to tear them up and replace them.

I know this has nothing to do with fish so I probably wont be on this site much if at all. I have a empty feeling every time I come here now.

Don't leave!