FW algae scrubber users

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Upflow scrubbers use a sheet of plastic mesh(available at any craft store), combined with one or more air stones to create flow up the screen. certain algae, namely hair algae, loves flow. By giving it an anchor point(screen), flow(provided by rising bubles), and light, you setup an ideal environment for hair algae to grow. By encouraging it to grow on the sheet which you can take out and scrape clean, you prevent or reduce it from growing elsewhere. Its used to reduce desolved nutrients.

foxsavage

Why best?
Before I added an algae scrubber I had problems with nitrates, phosphates and hair algae. I tried gfo, rowa, carbon and bio pellets but I still had constant problems. Since I added a scrubber I haven't been able to detect any nitrate or phosphate and all of the hair algae is now gone. It only grows on the scrubber now. I don't need to use any gfo or carbon anymore either and my tank looks better than ever.

DaveK

Before I added an algae scrubber I had problems with nitrates, phosphates and hair algae. I tried gfo, rowa, carbon and bio pellets but I still had constant problems. Since I added a scrubber I haven't been able to detect any nitrate or phosphate and all of the hair algae is now gone. It only grows on the scrubber now. I don't need to use any gfo or carbon anymore either and my tank looks better than ever.

Are you using the scrubber on a FW or SW tank?