frustrated with algae

My tanks seem to have a problem with algea on the glass. My water parameters are finally really good although the phosphate is .02 right now

I have trouble with a lot of algae on the glass which I scrub off, but am now getting scratches on the tank :cursin: With the trouble I have had with my tanks in the past year, I worry about those scratches.

I have snails in the tank, but they don't seem to be doing much at all for it. Should I add more snails to compensate? In the 24 I have about 8 small ones and 4 sand snails. The eclipse 12 has an urchin and several small snails, and the other 12 (when I get the replacement set up) will have several small snails and 2 sand snails.

I know the water quality is a big part of it, and I leave the lights on for 12 hours a day because of the corals and mushrooms. Can I cut back the lighting on them without hurting the toadstool, zoos, xenia (which is finally picking up)?

I will cut back the lighting to 8 or 9 hours a day then. I don't want the corals/shrooms to starve for lighting, but hate this darn algae!

CATALYST

If your tank is newer, you'll go through several phases of weird algae. I had hair, cyano, diatom, and some other weird green stuff. Make sure you don't overfeed, your water levels are right, your bulbs aren't old, and you have enough flow. Depending on what you're feeding, you may want to rinse it in RO first. Umm...if you have a place for it, you could add some macro algae too. There are all kinds of things that can happen that can make algae grow.
What are you cleaning the tank with that is scratching it?

I have some green macro algae that I keep in the back of the tank by the water pump and heater..in the middle section. Maybe I should add a little more of it, as it isn't that much. My tank is only a couple of months old right now, so I imagine I am going through those algae stages. I will tough it out and try and keep it clean.

Thanks. I am using a new algae scrubbing pad, and it is pretty rough. I guess I need to switch to another pad that is softer for now.

CATALYST

Try using a Mr Clean magic eraser. They don't have anything on them and they work pretty good.
Make sure you have a light back there or your macro is getting light.

ReefSki

Try cutting back your time to 10 hours. Maybe 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is the age of your bulbs. Older bulbs (more than a year old) can cause algae outbreaks. Also if your tank is positioned next to a window, natural sunlight creates more algae in tanks.

My bulbs are only a couple of months old and the tank is against a wall with no direct sunlight. Not that I let too much sunlight come into the room with it filled with tanks :)

I didn't know Mr. Clean Magic Erasers have nothing on them. I use them all the time for everything else in the house and they are wonderful. Can strip the polish right off a floor.

hma

You are frustrated because of a thin alga film on the windowpanes of the aquarium? Hey, this is completely normal even if you maintain an aquarium with absolutely 0 nutrients (PO4=0 NO2 / 3=0 etc.), However a thin alga film can be hardly avoided.

To be able to maintain different kinds of SPS rationally one needs even a low level PO4 (0.001 - 0.003 ppm). By the way, your level is already too high with 0.3.

The lighting duration has, by the way, only a very low influence on the alga growth. Whether now is lighted up 8 or 10 hours, is completely insignificant. As well as tracks by nutrients are to be proved, alga films will also form. According to amount of the nutrients more or less.

Algae = MAG Float :)

I know my phosphates are too high, and am working on getting them lowered. Before a few water changes with lfs ro water, they were at 5, so it is improving. I am doing another 25% water change tomorrow and that should bring that down further.

I am stuck buying either bottled water or ro water at the lfs until I can get my ro/di unit.

lcstorc

I couldn't possibly say it better than Heinz. Be sure to get a mag float made for acrylic. They are less abrasive and won't scratch the glass unless you get sand in them.
A place for hidden phosphates that most do not think of is in the food. Phosphates are commpnly used as a preservative in the food so you want to soak and rinse it in RO/DI water prior to feeding.
Water changes of course will help as will Phosban in a high flow area but a certain amount of film is just normal.

I have placed phosban in a mesh bag in the back of the tank. I have also begun to rinse the food and cut back feeding to every other day. I haven't tried the magic eraser yet, but plan to soon.

I have had an outbreak of red slime and need to get in there and get it off the rocks and fake plant. I used a turkey baster the last time but wonder if it is better to just pull out the rocks and scrub it off in change water.

I have hermit crabs and snails in the tank. About 12 hermits and 3 sand snails and about 8 smaller glass snails, a peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp. I had a turbo in there, but it was constantly moving and damaging things, so I had to take it out. I have a watchman goby, but I don't think he eats algae.

The rock that I had red slime algae appear on has little tiny bubbles that appear clear on it. Not many, any they are small. I haven't tried to see if they are air bubbles. Some of the other rocks are getting the red slime algae as well.

Should I remove this rock and scrub it down? It has a v. snail attached to it, and I hesitate to play with it much.

I am going to test my water again tonight.

I forgot to say I picked up the magic erasers today and used them. They are awesome. One swipe and everything was off the tank sides :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes they work GREAT for medium algae. Slightly harder takes a credit card or some other RIGID device.

sambrinar

FYI....If your tank is acrylic, DO NOT get sand in between the erasers or you will scratch the heck out of the tank