Frogspawn Placement / Light Distribution

fivel

I got a piece of frogspawn on saturday with 7 heads and have read that it likes medium/high light with a bottom placement. I placed mine so the hard mass of the coral is sticking horizontally out of a rock towards the bottom of my tank. It looks cool in the tank because it's so full that you can't even see the base of it, but 2 of the heads are slightly beneath the rest which might limit or even block direct light to them. So my question is... will they be find since the other 5 heads are receiving direct light from the T5's and MHs, or will the 2 heads not getting light slowly die? Just curious and couldn't really seem to find any thread that specifically addressed this question.

Thanks everyone - hope your weekends went well as I was not around to harass you as usual :)

bandr1002

i know of a freind of myne that placed his in a similar fasion under pc lights and the thing was fine for over a year. now he has upgraded and has halides and t5's. they are a pretty tolerant coral as far as i can see. personally i have not done this with myne. hope this helps.

bandr1002

p.s. if you are worried about the two heads underneath i would say you could frag em out. frogs grow so quick that in a couple of months you won't even notice it. myne went from 2 heads to 10 in only a few months.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I always try to mount mine like they grow in the wild and that's like a BUSH with the base down and the heads more or less UP!

Each head is an individual animal and needs it's own light and food. They are easy to frag as long as they are of the "Branching" variety.

Give them room so that their "Sweeper" tentacles don't reach other coral because odds are they WILL kill the other coral if they touch them.

Good luck. This is my FAVORITE coral! It was my first coral and now I have a couple of varieties of it as well as it's cousins: Torch & Hammer coral :)

fivel

Well I rearranged my LR a bit in order for them to still be on a rock towards the bottom and well away from everything else because of their sweeper tentacles. I just always try to avoid keeping corals off the sand bed because one... i like the wide open SB for my grazers and two... my dragon goby loves covering up anything on the SB with sand when he sifts. In order to actually position him vertically like Al mentioned though, I might not have a choice...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have them in MANY different places in my tank. I've got them on the bottom *in the sand*, half way up and even on a TOP rock right under the MH's and T5's.

Here is a pic of it's cousin "Hammer Coral" in my 90 up high
IMG_0043.jpg

and it's growing like CRAZY up there just inches from the MH's and T5's

Here is is from last year
IMG_4174.jpg

Here it is a few months back
IMG_0275.jpg

and here it is more recently (I now realize I need a CURRENT pic)
IMG_0182.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yeah it's a "morphed" hammer. The hammer tips aren't very well defined and many people have indeed thought it was a FrogSpawn. It's growing like crazy. I wish it wasn't my "Show" piece because I'd like to frag it and sell of the frags but this one is going to stay intact to see just HOW big it can get :)