fragging a toadstool

frisbee

Just curious how you would go about fragging a large toadstool coral. The one I have in my 20 gallon tank is just too big, and it's starting to shade some of the other corals below now. Should I just cut the stalk about 3/4 of the way up, and hopefully the crown will grow back over time, or leave the stalk alone, and just trim the very top of the coral back a little?
Which do you think would be a safer procedure? Thanks. :)

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I just snip some from the toadstool cap. Mine is so big it is self fragging now. I take the piece of coral and use a rubber band to hold on a piece of rubble or plug until it attaches. Just make sure the band is not so tight that the coral splits. Once it's attached, remove the band. Some people will use wedding veil too, but that's too much work when a rubber band does the job.

orieng

You can dice it up like a mushroom. Toadstools are very resilient and will grow back from the cuttings. Just snip it the way you like.

frisbee

Yeah, I cut it yesterday with some scissors about 3/4 of the way of. Nice clean cut too, so hopefully it will look pretty good once it heals up. The top of it was super glued to a small piece of live rock, and so far it appears to be holding.. I think I'm just going to trade it in at the LFS for some frozen foods or something. Thanks everybody. :)

frisbee

Just to give you an idea of what happened.

I had to bust up that orange montipora a few days ago as well. It was starting to touch the toadstool before I cut it.