Fragging a Monti Cap

PIMPALA

It might be the easiest coral to frag. Just break off what you want. Or snip the edge with pretty much anything, and it will break the rest of the way.

forestal

for large or small stony corals, wet tile saws work great to cut wafers to glue to plugs. I suggest always wearing gloves when fragging, many make stuff you may react to , particularly soft corals (sharp knife works best on them). Also rinse your coral/soak in a small bucket of salt water, as many will get mucusy (?sp) from the stress, and this allows you to put a calmer frag back in your tank without stressing your other inhabitants.

Tokalosh

However ladies and gentlemen

If you wish to shape break your Monti without removing it from the tank then may I suggest doing the following…..

Tools require:

1) Dermal or small battery powered variable speed hand drill.(do not submerge it in water)
2) 300mm hex extension (depending on the depth of your Monti)
3) 3mm hex drill bit

Process:

Drill small holes along the direction you wish to break the Monti.
Once you have done this then simply snap off the otter piece of Monti and it will break along the holes you drilled. This method is only used if you wish to shape break your Mont or prune it back in the tank.

Then you can frag the pieces you have broken off.

I hope this makes sense.

Tok

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've fragged so many Monti pieces (most of them by mistake LOL) over the years... literally snap a piece off (usually in an area not on the very front of the colony) and if it's too large snap it again. I then put a blob of reef epoxy onto a large dot of Super Glue Gel to the rock/disc. Then put a drop of Super Glue Gel on top of that and push while twisting the frag down into the glue/epoxy mix. Set aside and let it dry over night. Next day/evening glue it where you want it in your tank.