For the Red Sea Max Peeps...

Dad

I would think putting leds in the max tanks would be like saying all these red sea t5 hoods are not as good as led. They dont want there t5 hoods to be thought of as old tech, and thats what they are. I think anyone willing to drop $5.500 on a all in one tank. Will prolly end up BUY A NEW CORAL WNEN THIS ONE DIES REEFER ANYHOW. I surf many reef forums and the one that have these type tanks always have lots of diff corals with every new pic. You see they have almost all new live stock. just follow one from the start to the the last pic. I'm not knocking this type of tank. Bt if you are a true reefer you can take $5.500 and have one hell of a set up. Leds are the new tech and big companies that have invested lots of money in t5 tech will fight the new till they milk all they can from the old tech.
You can get a led that will grow all coral for Under $200 thats a 24"x24" lighting spread so for under $600 you could do that max 650 in a system that uses less power, wont haveto change bulbs/tubes every 6/9 months. leds can last up to 5 years.
leds are proven tech now. Some companies wont catch up till we stop buying the old tech.
And the people who paid that much for a tank with t5's will back up what there saying because who wants tobe the guy that over paid for anything lol.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Dad, I must say... your just wrong... when it comes to saying... T5's not growing corals in RMS tanks & the corals growing long term and prospering - the RSM Club on RS is full of tank threads proving just the opposite.

and there nothing special about RSM tanks & T5's, T5 lights in many tanks have proven to grow corals & provide for them long term.

to me this is a condescending very over general assumption
I think anyone willing to drop $5.500 on a all in one tank. Will prolly end up BUY A NEW CORAL WNEN THIS ONE DIES REEFER ANYHOW

The new S series tanks... with 800 watts of T5 on the RSM 650 will sustainable long term growth of all corals, including the most delicate SPS corals.

Lighting – standard configuration - 10 - 80W - T5 REEF-SPEC fluorescent 5 X 15,000K / 3 X Actinic (22,000K) / 2 X Pink + LED moonlighs

I say this... not to knock LEDs in anyway, or to compare T5's to them, I am sure Leds are very good too & most likely the future, but that does not make T5 obsolete yet, imo

DaveK

Let's be realistic. The reason LED lighting isn't used in the Red Sex Max is cost. It would cost a lot more money to include a decent LED lighting system, thus driving up the purchase price. You can provide T5 lighting, which is a good light source, for a lot lower initial price.

This is perhaps my biggest objection to all in one systems. They do give you something decent to start off with, but are very difficult to modify or upgrade to something a lot better.

It all comes down to what yo want out of your reef system. For many, an all in one system is an excellent solution. For others, they want the flexibility of being able to set it up the way they want.

It's the same way with personal computers. Most people will buy an off the shelf system, and be quite happy with it. Others will build exactly what they want from component parts and have something much better for their needs.

Oxylebius

I surf many reef forums and the one that have these type tanks always have lots of diff corals with every new pic. You see they have almost all new live stock. just follow one from the start to the the last pic. I'm not knocking this type of tank. Bt if you are a true reefer you can take $5.500 and have one hell of a set up.

A true reefer? You ARE knocking this type of tank and insulting the people who have them.

I've had enough of building tanks over the last two decades of keeping marine tanks - having to purchase the next best thing in filtration (from wet/dry systems, to canisters, and now refugiums), that is why I went w/a all in one system. No hassle for once. No more upgrades on filtration. And no more upgrades on lighting, T5HOs have been proven to produce results in coral growth. LEDs are still being worked out. LEDs have come a long way the last ~5 years, but not all brands out there produce results yet.

And as for pics showing new livestock - correlation is not causation. Just because you are correlating new livestock over time in these tanks does not mean it is the tank that is causing death of the previous livestock. Many factors can play into why pics are showing different livestock overtime, death can occur due to a number of reasons. And this can happen in any tank, especially those who are new to keeping reef systems. This is particularly insulting as you obviously haven't read my reef thread. Same corals in the same locations, which have grown since added to the tank in spring 2012 (I'm a few months away from 2 yrs of sps growth of the same coral heads).

ziggy

Kevin from red sea gave a reasonable explanation asto why they won't pull the trigger on them yet. And after hearing it I agree wit him, that is for every 250 sold. Although when I get my c-250 I'm getting Steve's LED upgrade.

Basiky the potential is there to cause damage to livestock with LED's if the operators aren't knowlwdgeable to start with low settings and acclimate/adjust the tank as time goes on to their livestock.

I agree with him!

Face it... the T-5's are idiot proof. the non technical operator turns them on and turns them off. Period.

I can see some non technical folks not knowing any better, and definitely not reading the manual, doing 100% off the start and wondering why their coral is being bleached.

I agree with Kevin AND I'm converting to Steve's LED's when I get my C-250.

But that's just my never-to-be humble opinion :soap: