For Display Tank: UV, Ozone, or Neither?

UV Oxone or Neither?

• Fried Pods. Yum.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Save the 'zone man.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • If they want it, they'll come get me.

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

fishnu

Whattaya think peeps?

Irradiate your pods? Fix the ozone layer? If they want it they'll ask for it?

What boat gets your vote?

lcstorc

Not sure how to vote but I say yes to a properly maintened uV. I don't know about the ozone. I have heard everything from wonderful to deadly.

UV is an indiscriminate killer of everything that pass's thru it(if its clean).Ozone is not a case of "if a little bit is good a lot must be great".Used in prescribed amounts there is nothing unsafe about it,for your fish or your home.However some people get excited when they see all that stinky skimmate they get and how clear the water is and think"wow lets turn that thing up a notch or two".And then blame the ozone for killing there fish.Well come on,it couldnt be there fault could it?lol

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
UV is effective against bacteria and other one celled organisms because of its affect on altering their DNA so that they can not replicate and or synthesize proteins. Amphipod and copepods are not affected by the short exposure time with the light as they are multi-celled organisms. All public aquariums use UV and/or ozone as a matter of fact, there is no reason why we, as hobbyists, shouldn't.

I agree with Nativevaman with respect to the safety of ozone. The small ozonizers made for the hobby are harmless. Ozone pumped into the skimmer is an effective sterilizer.

Last edited:

Frankie

RS STAFF
UV is effective against bacteria and other one celled organisms because of its affect on altering their DNA so that they can not replicate and or synthesize proteins. Amphipod and copepods are not affected by the short exposure time with the light as they are multi-celled organisms. All public aquariums use UV and/or ozone as a matter of fact, there is no reason why we, as hobbyists, shouldn't.

I agree with Nativevaman with respect to the safety of ozone. The small ozonizers made for the hobby are harmless. Ozone pumped into the skimmer is an effective sterilizer.
Ditto!:thumbup:

tbittner

You can plumb the system so the water from the fuge doesn't go through either of these. The pod reduction caused by either of these would be insignificant.

Since enhancing the skimming process is a major part of what ozone does it is normally run directly thru the skimmer air intake.since the ozone must then be removed carbon should be used by drifting a bag in the skimmer section or stationary in one section of over under baffles.So very little actual ozone comes in contact with fuge water.Since ozone only works on pathogens it wont have an effect on pods anyway.I suppose a UV could be plumbed into the skimmer section to reduce the damage to pods,but it still kills both good and bad bacteria no matter where its plumbed to.