Fluval Edge 6 gallon

lj22s

For my night light I purchased this submersible tube that consists of five LEDs. I just zip tied it to the swing arm. Works really great.
82064790.jpg

lj22s

Notice in the picture above that I also had to make a splash guard since the new (larger) bulbs are closer to the water.

Last edited:
Hmm...I can't see any of the pics :( I think it might have to do with these work computers. They started limiting pictures that would upload *sigh*

Anyhoo, I'm trying to stay away from lights around 6500k as algae loves light around that range. I don't want to go below 10,000k for my lights. And I really think that I am going to leave the hood turned the other way around...long length side to side instead of front to back. The light reaches all the way to the edges of the tank this way. You don't get alot of light in the middle and minimum light on the edges this way like you do with the hood long side going front to back. And it really doesn't take away from the tank...especially since I'll be modding the back of the tank anyway.

I also moved all my livestock to the nanocube because I really wanted to rearrange the rockwork. I really feel that I have too much rock inside the tank. Looked a bit crowded and there was one piece of rock that I just don't like the shape of. I removed some of the rock and exchanged the rock I didn't like with one of my brother-in-law's pieces. He liked the rock I gave him because it was covered in coralline algae and I liked the rock he gave me because it's shape is much more pleasing. Anyhoo, removed all the livestock because I suspect that removing part of the biological filtration might cause another short cycle. This will also give me time to really look at the filtration situation.

I really want to use some type of a sump on this sucker. Maybe it won't even need to be underneath. Removing the swing arm will create more room in that back chamber. Perhaps I can somehow convert that into a sump. Make a plexiglass insert to sit inside it and use it as a refugium? I have that sump/skimmer sitting around that would be great for this system so I might still go with the under the tank sump idea. The filtration will be my first goal on this system because the coralife 9w light system I have on there is doing fine for the moment. I'd just like to eventually upgrade all my tanks to LEDs. But my 25g is the first that will get LEDs as it uses metal halides and sucks up the energy.

The iphone4, huh? I have to say that I am partial to my HTC Evo 4G. I like the bigger screen much better. I actually bailed on ATT for this phone :lol: And unlimited data is all kinds of good...another reason I bailed on ATT :D I'm hungry so I think that I'll go eat the mac and cheese I stole from my mom's house. Actually, I'm painting her ENTIRE house for her so I'm entitled to some free mac and cheese :p

lj22s

Hey Shannon,

I don't know if you got a chance to check out the article I mentioned by Brian Griffin but it has some great information. I've been emailing with him back and forth and he actually gave me a preview of one of his retrofits. Using the CREE LEDs and keeping the hood stock he said he has pars of 200 at the bottom of the tank and 125 on the edges. That's pretty damn good. He mentions that he will show three different retrofits, from the moderate to the extreme. I can't wait to see what he has in store. Me personally, I will only use the CREE LEDs because of the quality.

And FYI: My iPhone 4 is unlocked and running on T-Mobile;)

lj22s

The LED bulbs that I'm using don't have a lens. Since I've installed the new bulbs I had to cut a piece of plexi glass and use it as a splash shield. Today I cut some pieces of plexi and I will try to silicone them right onto the bulbs themselves. I'm not sure if that will limit the light angle at all, but we shall see. I want to try this so that I can eliminate the splash shield.

Nope, haven't had the chance to look at the article yet. Work has been a biatch. Overtime out the wazoo...that I don't get paid for since I'm salary *sigh* I'll try to read it tonight.

lj22s

Hey guys,

UPDATE: I was originally going to implement a new LED retrofit under the stock hood of the Fluval Edge, I decided to go a different route:). I will be doing strip of 8 CREE LEDs that I will lay right on top of the tank in front of the stock hood. I'm building a metal housing that will be 15 1/2L x 1 1/2 W x 1 1/2 T. I will powder coat the housing to match the Peuter color of my tank. I ordered the CREE LED kit from rapidleds.com. I also bought a heat sink from them that I will mount in the housing. I didn't really want to take away from the look of this tank but I do think that with the color match it will actually look good;). I'm going with 4 royal blue LEDs and 4 cool white ones which should give me a really nice look. My plan is to bring the light in front of tank as well as the edges. Anyway, just wanted to fill you guys in and I will start posting pictures as soon as the project is under way.

nickao

I've upgraded the lighting on my Fluval again. Each light is 14000K, the only thing about these lights is that they don't have a wide spread, so I had to raise the lighting fixture up in order to compensate. I don't mind though, but, at the moment it is still messy so in the next few weeks I will be sorting that out.

lj22s

I've upgraded the lighting on my Fluval again. Each light is 14000K, the only thing about these lights is that they don't have a wide spread, so I had to raise the lighting fixture up in order to compensate. I don't mind though, but, at the moment it is still messy so in the next few weeks I will be sorting that out.

That looks really great. I too had the same problem with not getting enough light on the edges of the tank. It's just not possible with the design of the hood. That is why I decided to make another fixture. I finally received my LED kit and I'm in the process of drilling the heat sink and fabricating the housing. I will post pictures as soon as I complete the housing. Let me ask you, with the light setup you have, do you have an issue with too much heat?

That looks really great. I too had the same problem with not getting enough light on the edges of the tank. It's just not possible with the design of the hood. That is why I decided to make another fixture. I finally received my LED kit and I'm in the process of drilling the heat sink and fabricating the housing. I will post pictures as soon as I complete the housing. Let me ask you, with the light setup you have, do you have an issue with too much heat?

I was wondering about heat issues too with that set-up. Looks good though I still am determined to utilize the hood. I want to find the lights this one guy attached to the back corners of the tank. They were long and thin advert stylish-looking and actually added to the modern vibe of the tank. Can't remember where I saw the thread though.

nickao

Hi, lj22s & Cloudburst2000 I am not suffering from any heat issues (as yet), but, I am on the look out for it. But if so I will get a fan in there, I've got room for it so not too worried.

Anyways, here are my plans. I am not good with sketch up so I couldn't do the plumbing, forgive me but, I think you get the idea.

I am a couple of months away from getting here but there you go.

lj22s

UPDATE: Wanted to let you guys know that the whole CREE LED idea was scraped;p I decided to make it a little easier and I found a great product. I purchased these great ecoxotic Stunner LED Strips. Here's a link to see them -Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: ecoxotic Stunner LED Strip I am still making a metal housing for these but they are a great size and the light out put is amazing! I purchased both the 8000K and the 453nm Blue strips. I was able to contact technical support and found out that the 8000K strip has a total of 500-750 lumens and the blue strip has approximately 1,000 lumens. That's plenty if you ask me. As soon as I finish the housing I will share some pictures of the tank with these LEDs. But take it from me, it looks AMAZING! Let me know if you have any questions and here's a couple pictures of my ecoxotic Stunner LED Strips=)
img0029na.jpg

img0027zn.jpg

chipmunkofdoom2

The Stunners are not as stunning as their name implies

From the product FAQ:

Q. Will the Stunner grow hard coral or SPS coral?
A. Depending on configuration and the number of Stunners used, the Stunner can support a wide variety of animal life. However, we recommend using the Stunner LED for accenting the colors of coral and using it to supplement other lights.

Part of the reason LEDs are having trouble catching on is because of misinformation. Someone buys a product like the Stunner, attempts to grow corals with it, and fails miserably. They from that moment on will damn LEDs with even their dying breath. LEDs can be quite powerful, but only when implemented properly.

The only really proven solution for lighting reef aquariums with LEDs has been Cree (or comparable 3W) LEDs arranged with specific spacing guidelines and color layouts. Not saying these won't work, but they certainly don't fit any of the "agreed-upon" criteria established by the DIY LED community. That, and the manufacturer says outright they're just for accenting.

PIMPALA

ive been using a stunner strip on my edge for about... well, close to a year now maybe. i use it to supplement my two LED replacement bulbs in the stock sockets. never had any issues out of it, but I wouldnt expect it to grow corals by itself.

Just an update on my tank. Still up and running after a year. I have a hammer coral frag in it that is on the grow...several baby heads showing up. Also have several acans I just picked up at a local frag swap. I moved the rics out to my other tank to put the new acans in this tank. Also, have some xenia that I fragged from my nanocube. All corals doing well.

I have added a fish. I have a small tail spot blenny in the tank. He has his little hidey-hole in the rock on the right side of the tank. He sticks his head out the rock to look around. I've only had him about three weeks so he's still getting used to his new home. I think my cat scares him a bit. Though the cat could care less about him. My cat doesn't care for fish. He turns his nose up at any seafood :) The websites I've seen list the tailspot blenny as an herbivore but I don't belive it. He does like algae, but he also likes the mysis shrimp I feed the corals. I have a feeling that they are more omnivores than they are herbivores.

And I still have my sexy shrimps and a pompom crab. All doing well. I'm looking to add some pretty macroalgaes to the tank to give it a bit more color pop. Maybe some red titan algae. Any other pretty macros that you all suggest to add to the tank? Thanks!

Carlosvera91

i like the LED tube set up on your tank, it is very simple and seems to fit rather well. can you post the link where you bought it from perhaps?

manitoba

I Just want to say good for you for going on with this project regardless of the comments that stop just short of saying you are a complete fool for even thinking that this may work. I think that the world would be a much different place if it where not for poeple like you "thinking outside the box". LOL and to those of you who say it will never work and is just a waste of time and money rest asured it is not your time or money.

FYI i am hoping to start a SWT in an edge as well. Just trying to find a way around the lighting that will fit under the factory lid. I am also thinking of an overflow off the back and a roughly to 3 gallon sump.