Flowing RSM's water in/out of Sump Tank

dfstan

hi there, gotten myself a RSm recently and wondering if anyone experience or can suggest how my RSM to share my main sump? (without drilling on RSM)

My RSM is higher than my sump tank. and i want the water from RSM to flow into my sump tank and vice versa, water in sump tank to flow back to RSM? one of the way i think of is to use 2 small size pump, one in sump and one in RSM, but this sounds silly.

alternative is to get a eheim canister. but can a eheim canister be used inside a sump tank?

many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

cheers

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
dfstan - Welcome to the RSM Club! It sounds like your best bet would be an overflow box on the RSM, but if the sump is already being used on another tank I'm not sure how to handle a sump shared by more than one tank. I think BrentF has a similar situation but haven't seen him in here recently. bryceK has a sump/fuge set up with a Lifereef overflow designed for the RSM. Maybe he can share some information on his setup. I'm putting a sump/fuge together for my tank, but haven't hooked it up yet - Lifereef overflow with a return pump. But your setup with a shared sump may be a bit more difficult.

I'm not sure on the cannister use, but I don't think it's the answer since you would just be feeding water to the cannister & pumping it back up? If you just ran the top of the cannister you might end up with more water coming down than being pumped back up? Sounds like a potential disaster?

Midnight

I had a 75 and a 55 running of the same 20 gallon sump so it can work you just have to have two return pumps one for each tank. I don't know if I would pump the water from the RSM to the sump unless you use a float switch or something to stop the pump if the return stops working. I would use some kind of overflow.

bryceK

Here are some pics of the lifereef overflow box set up with the RSM. IMO since you already have your sump running I wouldn't use a very large return pump for the RSM.

100_0685.jpg

100_0686.jpg

100_0687-1.jpg

dfstan

thanks brycek for the pics, did you diy the overflow box? or did you buy it? if u buy it, can share where you bought it?

also, if electricity failure, will the u-tube of the overflow box contains air bubbles ans stop siphon out the water from the RSM tank?

thanks

bryceK

I bought the overflow box from Lifereef Filter Systems . The way the box is designed it is gurantteed not to loose siphon. I have tested this and had a few actual power outages and it has restarted on its own every time.

dfstan

I bought the overflow box from Lifereef Filter Systems . The way the box is designed it is gurantteed not to loose siphon. I have tested this and had a few actual power outages and it has restarted on its own every time.

Thanks brycek for the reply. just to be sure that i order the correct overflow box for my RSM. kindly see the link below if I'm looking at the correct item to prevent from ordering the wrong item.

in Lifereef website, under Nano-Prefilter for Red Sea Max, price at $199.00

http://www.lifereef.com/lg_rsmnano.jpg

many thanks again for your help.

cheers!

bryceK

Yes that is the correct prefilter. If you looked at all the details, Jeff offers the modified rear cover or you can diy, which jeff gives detailed instructions for. He is really great with his customer service and definitely stands behind his work.

dfstan

thanks reefmack and midnight for your suggestions, of course not forgetting brycek. will try to post some pics tonight and show you how my setup will be like.

dfstan

Yes that is the correct prefilter. If you looked at all the details, Jeff offers the modified rear cover or you can diy, which jeff gives detailed instructions for. He is really great with his customer service and definitely stands behind his work.

thanks for the prompt reply. yep, send an email to Lifereef but i'm hoping that he can ship overseas as i reside in singapore, though i'm willing to pay for the freight charges. this overflow box definitely will help me to sleep better at night!

dfstan

brycek, just a quick question. what pumpsize you used to bring the water back into the RSM from your sump? also, did you use a float switch to prevent if the overflow fails for whatsoever reason?

thanks