Flower shaped Coral ID

Avianman

Well, this certainly isn't a hitchhiker, but it is living happily in my tank now and I'd like to know exactly what it is. The LFS, which is very knowledgable in general, couldn't tell me exactly what it was, but it had been there for quite sometime and done well.

The "flower" tips are about 1/4" wide. The stalks are thick, as you can see from the image. The base is hard, and believe it or not, those stalks completely recede into the base when disturbed (though not quickly or at night - only during transport so far). It is not a "mat" like star polyps. Any ideas?

165757_174792312540919_100000304537752_443093_6392533_n.jpg

Here's the link to my facebook album if it doesn't work above (friend me if you like!) Beau Dansizen's Photos | Facebook

Avianman

Fantastic.....that was their speculation....I was hoping for something better. Oh well, it was cheap and I will enjoy it for a few months as I understand they are not long lived. I love it so far!

Avianman

Oh I think I can care for it....I am just being realistic. With a few exceptions it appears even the most experienced get less than a year from them, and then it is more luck than anything.

GlassMunky

My old LFS, before i just moved, Had a red one that they had in their DT for about 2 years so far..... i think its just hit or miss

Avianman

Looks like, though some additional research, that it may be the closely related, though not as difficult 'Alveopora'. Apparently, Alveopora have 12 "petals" on each flower (so to speak) and Goniopora have 24

SiNNeR

buy some reefroids.
its engineered perfect sized food for this guys..
the container states teaspoon for every 100 gallons 3 times weekly..

I use a 1/4 amount mix with my "fish food" and feed daily,
they will pull the reefroids from the water collum.

so even though i feed "less" than the suggested volume of roids i feed it more often.

3 weeks ago i bought 3 differnent gonio's
all the sites call them rent-a-corals, i think in the last 2 years much progress has been made in there needs food wise.

in fact the yell one i bought was in bad shape due to shipping dammage, my lfs gave it to me for free with the other two.. it is showing great signs of recovery..

Avianman

buy some reefroids.
its engineered perfect sized food for this guys..
the container states teaspoon for every 100 gallons 3 times weekly..

I use a 1/4 amount mix with my "fish food" and feed daily,
they will pull the reefroids from the water collum.

Any suggestion of where to purchase these online?