Flow?

Brady92

I have a friend with a 60g hex and he changed his flow by moving his power head and my question is did the change of flow cause this he's lost 2 clowns (they were stuck to the power head I think they got caught up in it) 5 fire fish and 2 damsels they were all at different points in time when he moves his power head were confused of it just a coincidence or if flow can have that much of an impact on these rather hardy fish I couldn't get his parameters of when they died and the tanks established for about 8 months or so with not quite enough lr IMO not sure how much in wieght but it's not enough rock lol he's using a canister uv sterilizer and a skimmer I'm unsure of makes and models but he's only had deaths when he changes his flow

I Love Living In Japan

Pics or it didn't happen :D

steved13

PREMIUM
Sorry for you friends losses :( Anything is possible, but I doubt the change in flow caused the deaths. 1 or maybe even 2 that went directly after the change...maybe. Fish adapt to changing flow pretty quickly. If a power head were aimed directly at an overflow and a fish swam by and got blown into the overflow and died, or something like that, or a new powerhead and smal fish getting sucked through it, would be the only thing I could think of.

I have motion devices and vortechs which change flow and intensity throughout the day, if a flow change could cause deaths I think I'd have no fish in my tank. Reefers spend a lot of money to acheive random changing flow patterns.

It's not uncommon to find dead fish against the intake of a power head. Sort of like land based deaths falling to the ground. :)

Willie McDaries

the redirecting of the flow could have possible stirred something up in the tank that caused a major ammonia spike or something of that nature but I doubt just a flow change would effect fish that much

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Super answers guys. I'm so not needed here today :banghead:
:D
..........I live my life as a warning to others.

Brady92

Any input is helpful I think it's a water parameter issue but just odd that he has only had deaths when he changed his flow maybe he is stirring up a dead spot and releasing more ammonia like stated above

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I also vote for stirring up something and causing an ammonia spike. I blow my rocks down every week right before a water change, it's amazing what this stirs up and I have oodles of flow.

BLADEYAMAHA

Sorry for you friends losses :( Anything is possible, but I doubt the change in flow caused the deaths. 1 or maybe even 2 that went directly after the change...maybe. Fish adapt to changing flow pretty quickly. If a power head were aimed directly at an overflow and a fish swam by and got blown into the overflow and died, or something like that, or a new powerhead and smal fish getting sucked through it, would be the only thing I could think of.

I have motion devices and vortechs which change flow and intensity throughout the day, if a flow change could cause deaths I think I'd have no fish in my tank. Reefers spend a lot of money to acheive random changing flow patterns.

It's not uncommon to find dead fish against the intake of a power head. Sort of like land based deaths falling to the ground. :)

Yeah the end of the world is near. All of this is stated in the Bible. The unexplained losses of mammals and fish at sea, also the birds falling from the sky and mass deaths of deer(not from hunters) that are occurring.