Flow flow flow?

NanaReefer

What would you use and where would you place them in this 40B tank?
a4e60a4653ff9122ff8ca5afac70e5ba.jpg

DaveK

Selecting pumps for flow is very subjective. You need to balance what your trying to do with the system against the available equipment and your budget. There is no "one size fits all" here. For esample, you could go out and get a couple of EcoTech Marine VorTech pumps. You'd get great variable flow, battery backup and all that. However, the cost would be about $600 to about $750 depending upon options. At the extreme other end you could get a pair of Marineland Maxi-Jet Pro powerheads for about $55. However these pumps can't come close to what the VorTech pumps can do. As for something in between these extremes, I like Hydor and JBL, but there are plenty of other good ones out there.

Considering what you seem to have in the tank, I'd recommend you opt for something toward the less expensive side. If later on you decide you want something a lot better, you don't have a lot invested in the less expensive pumps.

As for pump placement, this is more a trial and error process. You want to make the pumps as unobtrusive as possible and still give you good flow. All that live rock is going to channel water differently. I'd start with the pumps more or less in the middle of each side and move them around and adjust their direction until you get the flow you want, and no dead spots. With inexpensive pumps you can always add one or two more if you really need it. Once you have them placed, don't be afraid to move them if you see dirt accumulating someplace or you get new corals.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Good advice (as usual ;) ) from DaveK!
I run 2 Vortech MP10's on my 65gal and all my fish & corals look happy & healthy.
I have them placed on each with one behind my rock scape & one slightly more forward.
Your rock scape looks more open so you might could get away OK with less than two.
One good reason IMO for having two is in case one goes out.
The VorTech MP's being completely adjustable just make me L:heart:VE them as the best choice.

Ratpack

Look at the Jebao RW series. Two RW8's would give you enough flow for anything you put in the tank. The controllers are wireless so you can link multiples together up to 8 pumps. I have two of the RW15's in my 75gal and love them. I sold my Vortech to get them and have never looked back. Vortech's are good pumps, but limited and overpriced. I like the ability to point the pumps where I want them to go so I can change up things periodically.

frisbee

Without getting too technical or expensive, I would just go with 3 of the Koralia Evolution 850's. (in combination with a return pump) Two of them at opposite ends of the tank up top, and the other one in either the right or left back corner, about halfway down on the glass and pointing up towards the center of the tank. Corals that enjoy a lot of random current would go in the middle of the tank, while all the others would be placed on the outskirts. Piece of cake.

Last edited:

Irishfist25

+1 for the Jebao pumps. I have 2 of the wp 25 and they are hooked up to a dual controller on my 75g. I think the PH are like 65 each and the dual controller is like 20. They are often compared to the Vortech, but are a fraction of the price. The RW is the newer version of the WP series, but im not sure of their price.

Luukosian

Love my jebao too, thinking of going to a pair of the wireless ones since they weren't around when I got the one I have now. Vortech's are nice but way overpriced and you can't change direction of flow. One pump pushes a wave that almost spills out of my 90 gal and is adjustable for pulse and pump strength.