flame hawk experiences?

Mugz

hey... I really want a flame hawk to complete my tank. I've read all about how they will try to eat crabs and small shrimp.. but if I get a small one about an inch, it would take a long time to grow and even my cleaner shrimp will be big by then...he's already over an inch...
so I was wondering about other people's personal experiences with these fish in reef tanks? written tendencies in the wild I see are often more extreme versions then reality.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I've had 2. The first I lost when it carpet surfed. Neither of mine has ever bothered any of my inverts and hasn't been aggressive towards other fish. But, my 2 cleaner shrimp are large, and were in the tank first. the Flame Hawks have a lot of personality and mine will even eat from my fingers. But, every fish is different, and I have heard of some going after shrimp.

shark32

I absolutely love my flame hawk, Bowser. Mine, like Reefmacks, will eat from my hand as well. We have had him for about one month and have had no problems. My only shrimp right now is a coral banded shrimp and Bowser has no interest in him (maybe becuase he is three times his size!). I do have small hermit crabs and small emerald crabs and he pays no mind to them. He likes to swim around with my clownfish. They do have great personalities and are always watching everything that goes on. Good luck with your decision! Post some pics if you do get one!! :D

PIMPALA

no issues with mine. Full reef in my 46 bowfront. lots of softies, lots of crabs, snails, and shrimp... never an issue. put him in the tank last, and he gets along with everyone. possibly my favorite fish in the tank.

I've got one that was about an inch when I bought him. I'd guess him to be about a half inch bigger now. I've never had any problems what so ever with him with ANYTHING in my tank. I say go for it :thumbup:

blennielove

Love my Flame Hawk fish! He is absolutely adorable with the way he watches you and even "wags his tail" when I go near the tank, trying to get my attention to feed him. I've had him for three years now and he grew from an inch to three in my 28 gallon nano. He was one of my original fishes in that tank and he never bothered anyone. I've tried to put shrimps in later but they all went MIA - I do think it was him because he is the "hunter" of the tank with a clown, lawnmower blenny, bicolor blenny, pajama cardinal, pink spotted watchman goby, and a coral beauty angel as his friends, he does leave others alone.