Flame Angelfish + Aiptasia

philodox

Well, my tank finished cycling and I decided to add a Flame Angel to the mix of critters in the tank. I've previously had a bad aiptasia problem. To address it I bought 4 peppermint shrimp. The shrimp are doing great and have molted already.

Anyhow, long story short, I got rid of most of the aiptasia I could see with Joes Juice and Aiptasia X. There were a few little guys that were too far out of the way to treat. I hoped the peppermints would take care of those. After 4 or 5 days the aiptasia were still there and I figured that the peppermints didn't have a taste in them.

Low and behold, I add a Flame Angel. Overnight the aiptasia is gone. I witnessed the Flame Angle eating aiptasia today! I think I'm in love with this guy. I bought the Flame Angel from my LFS. He was in their demo reef tank with a crap ton of other corals in it. He was there for about 3 months before I got him.

Have any of you guys/gals seen a Flame Angle eat Aiptasia? I think it's the strangest thing as I haven't even heard of that happening before.

Here's a photo of the lil'guy in my tank.

Oh yeah, don't worry about the colt coral in the forefront, I just transferred him to my tank so he's a little stressed. He'll spread out about 7 or 8 inches around when he's feeling better.

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

I have to say I added a Flame Angle to my RSM250 a few months back and I had seen some aptasia before adding him. I also have added a few peppermint shrimp but never seen them pick at it. So they've either been over grown by my Xenia or the Flame Angle took care of them.