Flame angel with corals

r2d2

Hi all, what do you think of this combination?
I've read that flame angel can pick at corals but also that is reef safe.

Greetings

thearnley

I'm along for this one, as well. I would LOVE to keep a flame angel in my new 220 gal reef - but not at the expense of my stonies! :lurk:

r2d2

Thats what I expected but not what I wanted to hear....

What about Coral beauty? Is these more "reef safe"?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I had a Coral Angel that was a model citizen and I never saw it nip at anything in my Mixed Reef. Others have had them and they LOVED nipping corals. It's hit & miss....

molsen187

it really depends on the specific fish. you could have a flame angel that never gets the taste for coral or doesn't have the taste for it for years and then one day all of a sudden will develop the taste for one. if you keep him well fed, then it shouldn't be an issue imho. its a risk but its a risk with a lot of stuff we put in. people say peppermint shrimp are reef safe, but i know some people that would argue that peppermints ate their acans and lps. it all depends on the individual fish.

thearnley

+1 for molsen187 - I'll NEVER have peppermint shrimp in my tank again. After devouring my acan frag last year they began munching away on a $150 elegance coral. I tore the tank down that night just to get them out of there. No 'blanket' behavior can be attributed to a fish/shrimp/etc.

chipmunkofdoom2

+1 for molsen187 - I'll NEVER have peppermint shrimp in my tank again. After devouring my acan frag last year they began munching away on a $150 elegance coral. I tore the tank down that night just to get them out of there. No 'blanket' behavior can be attributed to a fish/shrimp/etc.

Best advice. When possibly thousands of dollars of livestock and your time are on the line, always use caution and be suspicious.

proenca

+something on the last posters said.

apart from Geniacanthus, no angel is reef safe.

whoever tells your otherwise, is lying.

they are omnivores and in their diet, corals are included. some nip at them, some eat them others dont touch them.

pretty much like humans and lets say, broccoli.

I can swear that I can find 10 people here that love broccoli, others that can have the occasional bite, other 10 that hate the thing to bits.

Same thing with fish.

Bit hit or miss - Coral Beauty, Flame Angels, etc. Even big angels, although with big angels thing is more of a miss than a hit :)

I've kept a full grown Asfur angel ( and that's a biggie ) that was a nipper. I've also kept a full adult ( that I raised from juvenile ) Narvachus ( blue grilled angel ) that was the most behaved model citizen that I ever saw in my life. Reef wise that is.

And I had a friend who bought a Narvachus and ate all its xenia in 10 seconds. I wish at the time mine did the same but he couldnt care less.

Each fish is absolutly different when comes to coral eating, well angels that is.

Take your gamble.

Me for example and after having 250€ in Blastomussas alone, and 300€ in assorted corals ( and I have a tank that is new ), having my heart set on an Australian Scolymia that is on the LFS that has the marvelous 250€ price tag, Im not going to risk on a 30€ fish - and trust me , I love both the Coral Angel and Flame Beauty.

But its not worth if I get one that munch on my corals.

And they can be model citizens for years and one day look at your prized coral and think "wait a second, that seems tasty". others ignore it all their life.

r2d2

Risk is not worth it. Here flame angel is a very expensive fish, lets say a little more than right now I've invested in corals. MY intention is to get more corals so.... no angel fishes.

Thanks

Willie McDaries

it's definitely hit or miss with any angel.....I think it helps if you feed 'em heavily,hopefully they'll rely on you instead of your coral for food...mine has been great,but I have heard all the horror stories too.....it's risky either way

I have all soft coral,except 2 orange monti caps and a purple monti cap frags....the flame hasn't bothered anything yet,and I hope he never does,this tank is for him,if it starts to pick at the coral,the coral will have to go....the flame is my favorite fish,so he's here to stay :lol:

maybe you could set up a different tank for nonreef friendlies,and have a flame without the worries

here's some pics of my flame enjoying his home :D

HPIM3590.jpg

HPIM3528.jpg

nightfire76

i had planed on keeping a flame and a lemonpeel and of course here and there get corals,i used to have a flame in a fo tank that my dad had...loved him and i want a lemonpeel cause in a 55 i cant really have a yellow tang and i like the blue marks on the brite yellow of the lemonpeel,i suppose if when i have them in there and some coral together and they start acting up then maybe i can just trade em in for the same fish and see if they act better....dont know....just know that like you all said its hit or miss

Nervoustime

In my case, I had a Flame Angel in my 90 gallon Oceanic Tech tank for around two years. After adding the Flame Angel, he started to pick on the clams, as well as any acans. Needless to say, no more clams or acans were added to that tank.

nightfire76

yea,if it were me and i had a few corals and it only picked at one or two of em,id remove them and see if he still picked at the other corals

i have a flame angel in my tank and he does not nip at my stony coral. he keeps to himself , as long as he is fed good. never pics at anything except for the damsels LOL

Spikewire

I have a Flame Angel as well and I've got to say he's been a model citizen. Loves to pick at the live rock but other than that he's only into food I give him.

While I was researching him I knew of the potential dangers but was told that it's about 2 or 3 out of 10 that actually go after corals. I have know way of knowing how true that is. I just know that my little buddy is very well behaved :)

nightfire76

yeah,either way im looking to keep a fame,lemonpeel and 2 clowns,if he pics at any corals i'll try to see if its only that kind of coral he pics at or if its him then ill trade him in for another flame :D

dlcorliss

Totally depends on the fish. I have had both a flame angel and now I have a coral beauty and have never had a problem.

r2d2

Thing is is quite expensive to make an experiment. Here a mid size flame is about $100 bucks so....
Maybe I should try with coral beauty.