FishinBOBs 10 gallon LED nano reef

FishinBob

Hey everyone started a 10 gallon reef tank about a month ago had some cured rock and water in a cooler for a couple months and petco had the dollar a gallon sale so I figured why not!! Here's what I got!

10 gallon tank
DIY 14 LED fixture 7 royal blue, 6 cool white, and 2 blue
Cascade 400 in tank filter
10 watt heater
250 gph powerhead

Livestock:
1 montipora
1 torch coral
3 ricordias
2 green zoas
1 GSP colony
9 polys

2 clowns
1 peppermint shrimp
2 nasirus snail
5 astreas
2 mexican turbos
4 blue legged hermits

Lol a bit packed I know but have a 90 gallon tank set up just finishing up my LED fixture before I start some transferring!! Well here are some pics
Before the new LEDs went in these were 2 par 8 5k bulbs
c6e4ebe4-c998-ec9f.jpg

The fixture before install notice the tank before!!
c6e4ebe4-cb01-285b.jpg

The new LEDs wow what a difference!!shimmer!!!
c6e4ebe4-c9f8-e9ef.jpg

Torch which I think both heads are splitting!! WOOT
c6e4ebe4-ca28-8905.jpg

Montipora frag I picked up last night!!
c6e4ebe4-ca58-b3cf.jpg

c6e4ebe4-cb4d-75d9.jpg

The GSP's I got last night too!!
c6e4ebe4-ca87-bcd4.jpg

Red and green ricordias
c6e4ebe4-cac7-4e3e.jpg

FishinBob

Thanks nano!!! I have to find some screen today my torch isn't liking the extra light yet!! It's moving right along my nitrates are a bit high but the sps and softies are loving it cause the just keep splitting!

FishinBob

Thanks bear, I have a thread going in reef chronicle's now! These are my first tanks so I'm learning something new everyday!! Im a charter fishermen and well doing it all day everyday just wasn't enough so had to have some fish( mainly coral) at home too!! The 10 gallon was just to get used to testing and dosing, PWC, and general maintenance of a tank... Then multiply it by 10!! This hobby is amazing getting more and more hooked daily!!!

amc78cj7

Is that LED sufficient for the monti? The "torch" looks like a frogspawn to me. Innovative. Love it!

Jeff

FishinBob

Well from what I have read this should be enough... I have some 80 deg optics need be! But only time will tell.. It was under t5's 18" down now under 14 3 watt LEDs about 6-8" away!! A couple places recommended 12 LEDs for this size tank no optics for sps and Lps... So I went with 14! Well I thought that but another guy swore up and down it was a torch!! Either ways it's heathly and doing quite well thanks for the confirmation on frogspawn

reefer gladness

Do you have a dimmer control? You might want to dial it down and then raise it back up slowly if you think it's light shocked. I have about double the LED's on the RSM 34g (no optics) and even with the LED's dimmed considerably I recently measured 425 PAR at 3 inches under the surface and 6 inches away from the LED's. Surprising how much PAR the LED's can measure compared to how bright they look to the human eye.

FishinBob

No dimmer installed just a constant currant driver for now! Yeah I shaded the frogspawn with egg crate and a filtersock everything else is fine! Lights are about 10" from the water now and will slowly acclimate by lowering then removing my light filter and work it down from there see where everything is happy! Wow that much huh? I would like to get a par meter none of my lfs has one!

FishinBob

Thank reefer! Seems pretty reasonable... 40 a week deposit is scary! Once I finish the light for the 90 I might consider so I can test both of them and play with the optics see what's best!
Here's my 90 fixture 84 LEDs total hope it's enough I loaded that heatsink up but I have some powerful fans!
c6e4e940-d2a6-f02f.jpg